Blog

  • Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says it’s ‘a team thing’ when referring to Micah Parsons’ contract situation

    Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says it’s ‘a team thing’ when referring to Micah Parsons’ contract situation

    Getty Images

    The Dallas Cowboys open up the 2025 season vs. the reigning Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles two weeks from Thursday, and their best player is still not practicing. Micah Parsons is in the midst of a highly-publicized contract holdout, as he awaits a historical deal which will make him the highest-paid pass rusher in NFL history.

    With no movement on a new contract, Parsons requested a trade in the middle of training camp, claiming he no longer wants to be a Cowboy. With that said, Parsons has still been present on the sidelines at team events, such as open practice earlier this week, but it’s hard to imagine he’s in football shape with Week 1 right around the corner. 

    During a recent television interview on FOX News Channel’s “FOX & Friends,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked straight-up how close the Cowboys are on getting a deal done with Parsons. Jones called Parsons a great player, and that this is a “team thing.”

    “Micah’s a great player, not a good player, but a great player. He knows more than anyone that it’s a team thing,” Jones said. “And so, I know everybody is tired of hearing this, but you got to put this puzzle together so that you can have some other people out there playing with Micah. That’s the art of the deal, and that’s what we’re trying to get done and we’re trying to make this thing work. But we have all the appreciation for what he can mean for the years ahead. We’re proud to have him.”

    What does “it’s a team thing” mean in this situation? Is Jones saying that you can’t build a contender while paying out multiple record-setting contracts? Should Cowboys fans expect this saga to drag out several more weeks? 

    There’s no doubt the Cowboys have a history of costing themselves money…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Kalen DeBoer shares why Ty Simpson was named Alabama football captain

    Kalen DeBoer shares why Ty Simpson was named Alabama football captain

    A look at Alabama football’s Walk of Champions at Bryant-Denny Stadium

    VIDEO: A brief tour of the Walk of Champions at Alabama football’s Bryant-Denny Stadium: Statues, commemorating championships and more.

    Kalen DeBoer viewed Alabama football quarterback Ty Simpson as a leader before he was named the team’s starter or a captain. It’s one of the things DeBoer appreciates about Simpson.

    After being named the Crimson Tide’s starting quarterback ahead of Alabama’s season opener at Florida State, Simpson was also made one of the team’s four permanent captains along with linebacker Deontae Lawson, defensive tackle Tim Keenan III and center Parker Brailsford.

    “He’s invested a lot of time into this program,” DeBoer said after practice Thursday, Aug. 21. “It means a lot to him. Now, when he’s been the quarterback, named the quarterback, he’s taken it to another level and put himself out there front and center. And it’s not something that’s just, ‘OK, I got to do this.’ He wants to do this. He feels natural in this position. I’m certainly proud of him. The team voting him a captain certainly represents how they feel about him too.”

    Simpson has the most experience of any Alabama quarterback, but has played in less than 200 snaps across three collegiate seasons.

    Simpson followed in the footsteps of Jalen Milroe, Bryce Young, Mac Jones and Tua Tagovailoa as Alabama quarterbacks who were also named team captains.

    Simpson was also voted a member of Alabama’s leadership group before spring practice began.

    Why Tim Keenan, Parker Brailsford were named Alabama football captains

    Along with Simpson and Lawson, a returning captain from 2024, Keenan and Brailsford were also named as team captains for the 2025 season.

    Keenan, DeBoer said, pours his heart and soul into the Crimson Tide program and has developed into a “big brother” for younger…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Urban Meyer thinks the NFL should suspend Jim Harbaugh

    Urban Meyer thinks the NFL should suspend Jim Harbaugh

    The NCAA recently issued the final punishment against the University of Michigan, for violations arising from the Connor Stalions sign-stealing scandal. The outcome included a 10-year “show cause” order against former Michigan coach, and current Chargers coach, Jim Harbaugh.

    Former Ohio State coach, and former Jaguars coach, Urban Meyer, believes that there should be an NFL suspension for Harbaugh.

    “There’s an elephant in the room here that no one’s talking about,” Meyer said on The Triple Option podcast, via Karl Rasmussen of SI.com. “When Jim Tressel was fired by Ohio State and he was given a suspension. Roger Goodell, Commissioner of the National Football League, came out and said that we’re going to honor that suspension. [Tressel] went to the Indianapolis Colts to work in the replay room. The Colts, because of the respect they had for the NCAA and the suspension, suspended Jim Tressel, so he was unable to perform his duties for the first six games of the year.”

    Does Meyer think the NFL will come up with a way to replicate the NCAA sanction of Harbaugh?

    “Any chance that Roger Goodell and the NFL . . . I don’t think so,” Meyer said.

    We’ve previously pointed out the NFL’s effort to simulate punishments, both to Tressel and former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor. The league had no comment on the matter.

    That doesn’t mean nothing will happen. It only means the league isn’t commenting.

    Still, silence shouldn’t be accepted. Either they’re going to follow the precedent they’ve created, or they’re going to make it up as they go. Whatever they choose to do, they should announce it and explain it.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • College football odds, picks, predictions: Proven model reveals top 2025 Week 0 parlay

    College football odds, picks, predictions: Proven model reveals top 2025 Week 0 parlay

    Imagn Images

    The college football season begins Saturday with five games on the Week 0 schedule. The slate kicks off with a matchup between Big 12 rivals Iowa State and Kansas State at Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Ireland, at noon ET. The 17th-ranked Wildcats are 3-point favorites against the No. 22 Cyclones in the latest college football odds, while the over/under is set at 49.5.

    The SportsLine Projection Model, which simulates every FBS game 10,000 times, has revealed its best Week 0 parlay involving underdogs. Since its inception, the model has generated a betting profit of well over $2,000 for $100 players on its top-rated college spread football picks, and was a profitable 27-16 combined on money-line and over/under college football picks in 2024. Anybody following its college football betting picks at sportsbooks and on betting sites could have seen strong returns.

    The model has turned its attention to Week 0 of the 2025 college football season and locked in its top parlay involving underdogs that would bring a +383 return.

    Top college football parlay for Week 0 

    Iowa State +131 

    The Cyclones set a school record with 11 victories last season after never finishing with more than nine. One of those 11 triumphs came at home against the Wildcats, a 29-21 win that was Iowa State’s fourth in its last five meetings with Kansas State.

    Quarterback Rocco Becht threw a pair of touchdown passes and also ran for a score in that triumph. He enters this matchup with at least one passing TD in 18 consecutive games, which is an Iowa State record and the longest active streak in FBS. The model sees…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Bears sign QB Tyson Bagent: Caleb Williams backup lands two-year deal, per report

    Bears sign QB Tyson Bagent: Caleb Williams backup lands two-year deal, per report

    Getty Images

    The Chicago Bears sorted out their backup quarterback situation Wednesday, signing Tyson Bagent to a two-year, $10 million contract as the top option behind starter Caleb Williams. ESPN’s Tom Pelissero confirmed the signing after CHGO Bears was first to report the move. Bagent’s deal, which runs through the 2027 season, can reach $16 million with its incentive structure.

    The Bears did not have to look far for their top backup. Bagent spent the last two seasons in Chicago and played a total of nine games, including four starts in 2023.

    Bagent’s signing comes on the heels of a tremendous preseason showing in which he guided the Bears to a 38-0 rout of the Buffalo Bills. Taking the majority of the quarterback reps after Williams started the game, Bagent led the squad with 196 passing yards and a touchdown on 13-of-22 passing. He also ran once for nine yards. Bagent accumulated a team-high 103 yards in the preseason-opening tie with the Miami Dolphins, too.

    “If everything goes well, this is it,” Bagent said of the preseason. “I’ll be watching a lot of football this year. 1-8 will go out there and do his thing. So this means the world to me. This is my life’s work being put into action right here in front of everybody. It means a lot, but I’m really just trying to continue to get better myself day in and day out, bank as many reps as possible and be as ready as I possibly can be for the long season that’s coming.”

    This season is Bagent’s third in the league after he joined the Bears in 2023 as an undrafted free agent. He hails from Shepherd, a Division II program in West Virginia, and was one of the best players in the nation at that level as a two-time first-team DII All-American. He won the Harlon Hill Trophy in…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Former USC running back Quinten Joyner suffers season-ending injury

    Former USC running back Quinten Joyner suffers season-ending injury

    On Monday, the current USC football team suffered a blow when the Trojans learned that they will likely be without offensive lineman DJ Wingfield this season. That same day, a former USC player was also lost for the year, as Texas Texh running back Quinten Joyner suffered a torn ACL, per Pete Nakos of On3.

    As a redshirt freshman at USC last season, Joyner rushed for 478 yards and three touchdowns, while also adding 89 receiving yards and a score through the air. He was seemingly set to take over as the Trojans’ lead running back in 2025 following the departure of Woody Marks for the NFL. However, he elected to enter the transfer portal prior to the Las Vegas Bowl, reportedly due to an NIL dispute.

    Joyner landed at Texas Tech, joining a Red Raiders team that has been receiving a good amount of hype in the Big 12. With Joyner now out for the season, they will now be forced to look elsewhere for production at the running back position.

    Meanwhile, the Trojans were busy in the portal at the position themselves, adding New Mexico transfer Eli Sanders and JUCO back Waymond Jordan. Those two, along with sophomore Bryan Jackson, figure to get the majority of the carries for USC this fall.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Saints coach Kellen Moore not ready to name QB starter between Spencer Rattler, Tyler Shough: ‘It’s really, really close’

    Saints coach Kellen Moore not ready to name QB starter between Spencer Rattler, Tyler Shough: ‘It’s really, really close’

    Only one quarterback battle remains.

    The Indianapolis Colts announced Daniel Jones as their starter Tuesday. The Cleveland Browns named Joe Flacco their starter Monday.

    That leaves the New Orleans Saints, who are still deciding between second-year pro Spencer Rattler and rookie Tyler Shough.

    Advertisement

    Saints head coach Kellen Moore addressed the competition Tuesday. He sounds no closer to making a decision than he was at the start of training camp.

    “It’s close,” Moore told reporters. “We look at every aspect of this quarterback situation. It’s really, really close. Numbers, experience reps, everything. It’s going all the way back to the start of training camp. Everything is very, very close between this group.”

    [Join or create a Yahoo Fantasy Football league for the 2025 NFL season]

    Moore is fielding questions about the Saints’ QB1 situation not only from media. He says he gets them at home from his kids as well. Moore gives his children the same answers he gives reporters.

    “There’s a lot of people who like to ask about the quarterbacks, my kids included,” Moore said. “It’s a fun conversation.

    “They’ve got advice about everything. Every bad decision, every throw, every play-call. They’ve got it all.”

    Advertisement

    Who will win the job?

    So who’s got the edge? That remains a mystery with one preseason game remaining.

    Rattler is more of a known commodity. The 2024 fifth-round pick started six games as a rookie last year, completing 57% of his passes for 188.1 yards per game with four touchdowns and five interceptions — not exactly inspiring starter stuff.

    The Saints selected Shough in the second round of April’s draft as the third quarterback off the board amid the then-uncertain future of Derek Carr. Both are now competing for the starting job following Carr’s unexpected retirement due to a lingering shoulder injury.

    Advertisement

    Neither has done enough to win the job while splitting starts in New Orleans’ first two preseason games.

    How they’e looked

    Rattler…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • After Browns name Joe Flacco starting QB, NFL veteran relishes in ‘special’ opportunity at age 40

    After Browns name Joe Flacco starting QB, NFL veteran relishes in ‘special’ opportunity at age 40

    Joe Flacco beat out a group of young quarterbacks to win the Cleveland Browns’ starting job for Week 1, and the most experienced option in the room is set to join a minuscule group of NFL players to extend their careers into their 40s. Flacco will be the second-oldest starting quarterback in the league this season, behind only Aaron Rodgers. The first-year Brown, who joined the franchise this offseason on a one-year, $4 million deal, said it is “special” to get the nod at his age.

    Flacco emerged victorious in the position battle over contenders Kenny Pickett, Dillon Gabriel, Shedeur Sanders and Tyler Huntley. None of the other quarterbacks in Cleveland are older than 27, while Flacco celebrated his 40th birthday in January.

    “I don’t know if I was very emotional about it,” Flacco said of winning the job. “But, listen, you don’t take for granted opportunities in this league. Especially to get one at this point in my career is definitely special. But like I said, it’s pretty much business as usual and just kind of trying to get better.”

    While he has not played a full season since 2017, his penultimate campaign with the Baltimore Ravens, Flacco made starts with each of his five previous teams and is fresh off a campaign in which he took over for the Indianapolis Colts with six starts.

    “You gotta give a lot of credit to obviously Tom (Brady) for anybody even thinking about doing it,” Flacco said of playing into his 40s. “Obviously there was guys before. You have Warren Moon. I talked about it a couple weeks ago. Vinny Testaverde and other guys that have done it. But, I mean, he pushed the boundaries like he did in absolutely everything. No surprise that he did it in that way, as well.

    “But I don’t think it’s necessarily something I actively think about until people remind me with texts and things like that and you guys ask me about it. I don’t think it’s a huge deal right now, but I’m sure…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More