Author: nfltalk

  • MSU extends offer to 5-star Pennsylvania WR Matthew Gregory

    MSU extends offer to 5-star Pennsylvania WR Matthew Gregory

    Michigan State football has extended an offer to one of the top wide receiver prospects in the 2027 class.

    Matthew Gregory of Pottstown, Pa. announced on Monday morning that he’s received an offer from the Spartans. Gregory posted about the offer from Michigan State on his social media X account.

    Gregory is a five-star wide receiver prospect in the 2027 class. He holds a recruiting rating of 98.36 in 247Sports’ composite system.

    Gregory is technically listed as an athlete on 247Sports, and ranks as the No. 3 athlete in the composite system. He is also ranked as the No. 39 overall prospect in the class.

    Michigan State joins a long list of schools to offer Gregory, with offers from 20 schools, according to 247Sports. Some of the more notable schools to offer him are Arkansas, Auburn, Boston College, Florida State, Maryland, Miami (FL), Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Tennessee, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

    Contact/Follow us @The SpartansWire on X (formerly Twitter) and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Michigan State news, notes and opinion. You can also follow Robert Bondy on X @RobertBondy5.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Matthew Stafford won’t take part in Rams’ joint practice with Cowboys

    Matthew Stafford won’t take part in Rams’ joint practice with Cowboys

    Sean McVay won’t have to worry about Matthew Stafford catching a twice-tipped pass and stumbling over the goal line during a joint practice with the Dallas Cowboys.

    That anxiety-inducing event occurred last year when the Rams practiced against the Cowboys.

    Advertisement

    On Tuesday, the Rams again travel to Oxnard to practice against the Cowboys before Saturday’s preseason game at SoFi Stadium.

    But the back issue that sidelined Stafford throughout training camp will keep him off the field.

    Read more: Matthew Stafford visits back specialist; still unclear when Rams QB might practice

    When the Rams go through a jogthrough on Monday, Stafford will continue to work out on his own, McVay said Sunday after the final public workout at Loyola Marymount.

    “He is able to do a little bit more, which is good, and things are progressing well,” McVay said. “But he won’t take part in the jogthrough because he’ll be doing some other stuff during that time.”

    Advertisement

    McVay said Stafford’s workouts with trainers have included some static throwing exercises, running on a treadmill, light cardio and core work.

    “It’s more just functional strength surrounding the area while making sure that you don’t do anything to set yourself back, based on the trajectory that he’s doing,” McVay said. “But we are looking forward to getting him and easing him back to football hopefully in the near future.”

    Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo will lead the first-team offense against the Cowboys, Stetson Bennett the second.

    McVay does not play starters or other significant players during preseason games. Joint practices with the Cowboys and next week with the Chargers will enable Rams starters to get snaps heading into the Sept. 7 opener against the Houston Texans.

    Advertisement

    “It’s really beneficial for us to be able to get our starters what would be close to the equivalent of a game,” McVay said.

    Last year, at least three minor skirmishes broke out between the Cowboys offense and…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Michigan State football hires Texas staff member to join program

    Michigan State football hires Texas staff member to join program

    Michigan State football has poached a staff member from one of the prominent programs in the sport, with Jonathan Smith adding a new member to his support system.

    Michael Morales has been hired as a Player Personnel Analyst with the Spartans. Morales brings a background in player evaluation, football operations and data analysis. Prior to joining the MSU program, he has spent three years with the Texas Football program.

    A big player in the data analytics, Morales spent time working for Pro Football Focus, where he honed in different facets of statistical analysis. He will bring that analysis background to the Michigan State recruiting department.

    Contact/Follow us @The SpartansWire on X (formerly Twitter) and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Michigan State news, notes and opinion. You can also follow Cory Linsner on X @Cory_Linsner

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Micah Parsons trade request: Jerry Jones tells Cowboys fans not to ‘lose any sleep’ over contract negotiations

    Micah Parsons trade request: Jerry Jones tells Cowboys fans not to ‘lose any sleep’ over contract negotiations

    The public contract dispute between star edge rusher Micah Parsons and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is enough to keep fans up at night. With negotiations souring, Parsons requested a trade on Friday, but Jones is telling the fan base that they can still rest easily at night.

    At Cowboys’ practice on Saturday, Jones gave his first public comments on Parsons’ trade request. With the team’s star player now wanting out, Jones was asked about his message to the fans, and he provided an interesting answer.

    “I would say to our fans, don’t lose any sleep over this,” Jones said, per Nick Harris of the Forth Worth Star-Telegram.

    That may be easy for Jones to say, but selling it to the fans is another challenge entirely. As the Cowboys took the field for practice, fans in attendance were very clear about their desire for the team to pay Parsons, one of the best edge rushers in the NFL.

    Just moments after attempting to assuage fans’ fears of losing their team’s best defensive player, Jones took another swipe at Parsons. Jones claimed he offered Parsons a contract worth more than anyone would guess – and that the edge rusher walked away from it.

    “What y’all don’t know is what I offered him,” Jones told the Cowboys’ official website. “And it’s a hell of a lot more than you think I did. That’s what you don’t know.”

    “Micah took it off,” Jones added. “He took it off. That’s very important.”

    When asked whether Jones had spoke with Parsons since his trade request, the Cowboys’ owner and general manager admitted that he hadn’t, per Jon Machota of The Athletic. Jones went on to say that this dispute with Parsons, who is currently under contract with the team, makes him “wonder” if the defensive standout will honor his next deal all the way through.

    “At some point you do have to recognize that we’re talking about under contract here, which can diminish if somebody makes a new contract,” Jones…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy questions College Sports Commission authority, seeks ‘one person in charge’

    Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy questions College Sports Commission authority, seeks ‘one person in charge’

    There is a new enforcement body in college athletics that promises to regulate NIL transactions, potentially solving one of the critical issues that coaches, administrators and fans alike have bemoaned over the last handful of years. But Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy is not convinced that the College Sports Commission is the right answer to the troubles facing college football.

    Constructed with the finalization of the NCAA v. House settlement, the CSC will determine the validity of NIL deals and oversee the revenue-sharing model that took effect July 1. The CSC has already faced pushback from NIL collectives, though, and this week walked back its previous guidance suggesting that collectives could no longer directly pay athletes.

    “The CSC is scared right now, right?” Gundy said in his Saturday media availability. “I mean, what power do they have? They’re already being sued.”

    The CSC was not formally sued, as Gundy claimed, but instead it faced opposition from attorneys who claimed its guidelines violated the House settlement terms. In response, it clarified the permissible scope of payments to include those from NIL collectives, so long as they satisfy the “valid business purpose” requirements outlined in the settlement.

    Gundy took exception to the new oversight structure in general. Rather than to have two enforcement bodies (the NCAA and CSC), Gundy said college sports needs one individual leader to call the shots.

    “You gotta get one person in charge, and then they gotta get the four power people in room, and they all gotta start talking about equality and how can we revenue-share across the country, Gundy said. “We follow the NFL pattern. If you’re not going to make them employees and collective bargain, I get it. But how are we…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • 2025 Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement: Jared Allen, Sterling Sharpe, Eric Allen, Antonio Gates express gratitude to those who lifted them

    2025 Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement: Jared Allen, Sterling Sharpe, Eric Allen, Antonio Gates express gratitude to those who lifted them

    The Pro Football Hall of Fame added four members on Saturday, with Jared Allen, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Gates and Eric Allen enshrined as the class of 2025 at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, Ohio.

    The four new inductees received their signature gold jackets during a dinner on Friday night. Prior to the quartet giving acceptance speeches on stage, the ceremony honored host Chris Berman, who emceed the Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony for the 25th time. Pittsburgh Steelers legend Lynn Swann, class of 2001, presented Berman with a silver anniversary football.

    Advertisement

    Coach Marv Levy, also part of the 2001 class, was recognized for his 100th birthday, which is on Sunday (Aug. 3). Thurman Thomas, class of 2007, who played for Levy from 1998-97 with the Buffalo Bills, called him “the best coach I ever had.”

    [Join or create a Yahoo Fantasy Football league for the 2025 NFL season]

    Jared Allen was the first of the inductees to take the stage. He was presented by his father, Ron Allen. Wearing a cowboy hat, Allen joked that he felt bad about giving bad advice — such as eating three jalapeno peppers before a game — to parents who asked for tips to a successful football career, often when he was having dinner or with family members.

    Advertisement

    Finally enshrined in his fifth year of eligibility, Allen thanked his wife for elevating him and their two daughters, who he called “his legacy.”

    From Yahoo Sports’ Frank Schwab:

    “[Allen] was entertaining as a player, with 136 career sacks during stints with the Vikings, Chiefs, Bears and Panthers, and also unapologetically himself. His famous calf-roping celebration after sacks was a part of who he was, and maybe the most memorable part of a great career.”

    Up next was Sterling Sharpe. Appropriately, he was presented by his brother Shannon Sharpe, class of 2011. The two now comprise the first brother tandem to be inducted into Canton.

    Sharpe thanked his mother for giving him the name “Sterling,” which helped him stand…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Where LSU football’s recruiting class ranks after latest addition

    Where LSU football’s recruiting class ranks after latest addition

    LSU football added another talented piece to its 2026 recruiting class on Friday with the commitment of three-star defensive tackle Darryus McKinley.

    McKinley, a Louisiana product and the brother of current LSU defensive tackle Dominick McKinley, is the 17th commit of LSU’s class. LSU’s defensive line class is shaping up to be one of the best in the country, with McKinley joining Lamar Brown and Richard Anderson, two of the top-ranked defensive tackles in the class.

    Let’s take a look at where recruiting services rank LSU’s class after the latest addition:

    LSU has a chance to land the No. 1 class in the country. The Tigers remain in pursuit of top available prospects, including five-star offensive lineman Darius Gray. LSU also looks to hold on to five-star wide receiver Tristen Keys as there’s talk about a potential flip.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Cincinnati Bengals finalize 11-year lease extension to remain at Paycor Stadium

    Cincinnati Bengals finalize 11-year lease extension to remain at Paycor Stadium

    The Cincinnati Bengals will continue to play their home games at Paycor Stadium for at least another decade and potentially through the 2045 season. Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the franchise finalized with Hamilton County a new lease that keeps them in town on an 11-year extension through June 2036. The agreement comes with an option to extend through June 2046.

    The new lease finalizes a process that has been ongoing throughout the offseason. The Bengals agreed with local officials in June to a $470 million renovation of Paycor Stadium along with the lease extension, but the latter required formal approval from county commissioners.

    Paycor Stadium, which has been home to the Bengals since it opened in 2000, will undergo upgrades as part of the project. It carries a smaller price tag than the initial $830 million the Bengals proposed, and the county will foot the majority of the bill to the tune of $350 million. The team, with assistance from the NFL’s G-5 loan program, will contribute $120 million to the renovations. Stadium upgrades include improvements to the club lounges, stadium suites, concessions and scoreboards.

    Bengals to sign Noah Fant: Ex-Seahawks, Broncos TE gives new team veteran presence, production

    Austin Nivison

    Hamilton County commissioners approved the lease Thursday, but the Bengals had not yet agreed to the terms. Friday’s finalization is the last step and comes after the county’s 2-1 approval vote.

    “The county has said that what we’re asking for is in the generality of what other NFL…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More