Blog

  • ESPN says this is Michigan football 2024 X-factor

    ESPN says this is Michigan football 2024 X-factor

    Michigan football lost a lot of talent from a year ago but looks to reload with some high-end players who are in their junior year this year.

    From cornerback Will Johnson, defensive tackles Mason Graham and Kenneth Grant, and tight end Colston Loveland, there’s no shortage of potential first-round NFL draft picks who will be leading the Wolverines this year. But there’s another junior who could be an impact player that many aren’t discussing.

    ESPN put out a list of each top team’s X-factor in 2024, and while your guess may be quarterback Alex Orji, the outlet actually looks to a third-year wide receiver who could make the big difference in the new year.

    WR Tyler Morris. The Wolverines lost go-to receiver Roman Wilson to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second round of the NFL draft. But that could create an opportunity for junior Morris to shine in his spot. Morris showed what he could do with a blistering 38-yard touchdown reception down the sideline in the CFP victory over Alabama. The Wolverines are banking that Morris can give them a lot more plays like that as their new go-to receiver. — Trotter

    While that’s ESPN’s guess, really, it could be any number of Michigan receivers. The position group is mostly unknown, with Morris being the elder statesman, Semaj Morgan being the electric gadget player, Fred Moore and Kendrick Bell being the deep threats, while Amorion Walker (another third-year player) gets his feet wet back on offense and C.J. Charleston adds via the transfer portal.

    Morris showed off his SEC speed against Alabama in the Rose Bowl, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see any of the above end up having a breakout year with Roman Wilson and Cornelius Johnson both having left for the NFL this year.

    Morris had 13 catches for 197 yards and one touchdown as a starter in the slot last year, his…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Caleb Williams remains unsigned as lawyers haggle over final language of his contract: Report

    Caleb Williams remains unsigned as lawyers haggle over final language of his contract: Report

    Caleb Williams remains unsigned as lawyers haggle over final language of his contract: Report originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago

    The city of Chicago rejoiced in the finalization of Caleb Williams’ signed, four-year, rookie contract, cementing him as the franchise’s signal caller and ushering in a new era.

    Until Wednesday morning, when Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio reported Williams remains unsigned.

    “My understanding is the contract isn’t signed,” Florio told 670 The Score. “They expect it to be. They’re haggling over language. And what I think they’re getting into is a situation where the lawyer who’s handling this isn’t as versed in the nuances of the contract as an experienced and competent agent would be. I think there are some snags they’re trying to work out.

    “One thing I’m told is there was an effort made to get the Bears to agree not to use the franchise tag on Caleb Williams after he would finish the fifth year of his contract, assuming they would pick up the option. But that did not go anywhere.”

    According to Florio, Williams’ team went to the Bears, requesting them to hold off usage of the franchise tag after the fifth year of his contract, assuming the Bears would pick up his option. The Bears declined, per Florio.

    That clause would’ve been a historic measure, considering no rookie has ever got that clause put into their first NFL contract; even though nothing in the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) prevents rookies from achieving the measure. Veteran quarterbacks, such as Dak Prescott, have earned the clause, in part, to allow the market to dictate their value during free agency periods.

    If Williams was able to get that clause printed into his contract, he would set a new precedent for future first-round quarterbacks.

    Multiple outlets, including NBC Sports Chicago, reported Williams signed his four-year contract worth $39 million with a $25 million signing bonus on Tuesday. Florio represents the lone report of Williams remaining unsigned. But,…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Tennessee embraces Josh Heupel’s quiet stability as Vols enter season among dark horse playoff contenders

    Tennessee embraces Josh Heupel’s quiet stability as Vols enter season among dark horse playoff contenders

    DALLAS — Josh Heupel isn’t one for showmanship or hype. Instead of his highly-touted quarterback Nico Iamaleava and potential No. 1 DE James Pearce, the Tennessee coach brought a senior offensive lineman and linebacker to SEC Media Days. 

    Entering his fourth season, perhaps the greatest compliment one can pay to Heupel is that he’s made Tennessee… boring? 

    “When I took this job three years ago, everybody can go back and kind of research what we were embarked on as far as challenges and how we had to navigate those,” Heupel said. “We’re at the point now where we’re almost free and clear of navigating all those things. Our roster is the deepest that it’s been by far.” 

    With years of calm, it’s easy to forget the decade of turmoil Tennessee football once endured. The program fired previous coach Jeremy Pruitt amid alleged Level I NCAA violations. Numerous coaches turned the Vols job down after they fired Pruitt’s predecessor Butch Jones. Lane Kiffin abandoned the program after one year. Those messes ended not only with new football coaches but with new athletic directors, too. 

    Heupel was seen by many as a bridge coach after joining his UCF athletic director Danny White in the move to Tennessee. Already, he’s well overperformed expectations. In 2022, the Vols beat Alabama and won 11 games. Perhaps most impressive, he followed it up with another nine-win campaign, giving Tennessee its most consistent two-year run since 2004. 

    It comes through in interviews that Heupel is a quiet guy. He has seen the highs and lows of college football, from quarterbacking Oklahoma’s 2000 championship team to getting run off from his alma mater as an offensive coordinator in 2014. But more than anything, that calm consistency stands out to his…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • One question every NFC team must answer entering training camp: Lions, Eagles have problems that need solving

    One question every NFC team must answer entering training camp: Lions, Eagles have problems that need solving

    Training camp is on the horizon for the NFL, as teams embark on their journeys to prepare for a Super Bowl championship. While some teams are in a better position to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy than others, all teams in the NFL have the same goal.

    These next five weeks are going to be telling for a lot of teams in terms of if they are ready to compete for a championship, or at least winning consistently on a weekly basis. Expectations will differ for certain teams, but the goal remains the same. 

    Several questions will arise for every NFC team over the next several weeks. Let’s take a look at the biggest one for each NFC team. 

    The Cardinals will be figuring out a crucial part of this defense over the next six weeks, with plenty of intriguing candidates. Sean Murphy-Bunting is the leader in the clubhouse for one of those spots with his three-year contract in free agency. Max Melton, Starling Thomas V, Kei’Trel Clark and Garrett Williams will also getting an extended look to start opposite Murphy-Bunting.  Melton will be a player to watch given he was a second-round pick…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • SEC determining tiebreaker for football conference championship game

    SEC determining tiebreaker for football conference championship game

    A new era of the Southeastern Conference was pushed in with the additions of the Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma Sooners, expanding the league to 16-member schools while doing away with the divisional structure that had been in place since 1992.

    This week, the SEC is holding its annual media days events to allow both the conference itself as well as each respective program a chance to address the sports world ahead of the 20s4 campaign. Among the topics early on was the plan for the football conference championship game tiebreaker.

    “There’s still a lot of tweaking to be done,” said Mark Womack, the SEC’s associate commissioner. “But our ADs have seen it. Our coaches have seen different versions of it as we’ve started to tweak and go through everything. So we just want to try to be sure that we’ve got all the different situations covered that could pop up so there are no surprises.”

    While the final result is still quite nebulous, the conference brass seem to have a vision for what they want.

    “We’ve got a pretty good idea, but we don’t want to put it out there just yet,” Womack said. “Because some of the tweaks that go through might impact (where) we might want to flip two (tiebreakers).”

    That leaves a lot of leeway for what becomes the new league policy. Still, it appears that the SEC is leaving no stone unturned.

    “But some of them as you go down the likelihood of everything being the same is probably not very high when you get into some of the other parameters out there,” Womack said. “To get to a coin flip or to get to a draw if you had more than two, would be possible but unlikely.”

    Follow us @GatorsWire on X, formerly known as Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Florida Gators news, notes and opinions.

    Story originally appeared on Gators Wire

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Shedeur Sanders shoots down social media posts about his preferred NFL teams

    Shedeur Sanders shoots down social media posts about his preferred NFL teams

    In the age of social media, it’s easy for anyone to make something up, pass it off as news, and see it spread. In the NFL world, there’s been an increasing number of social media accounts that do no actual reporting but pretend to have inside information.

    Colorado quarterback Shedeur Sanders has shot down one of those pretenders.

    Responding to a viral report claiming he had a list of six NFL teams he prefers to play for when he’s drafted next year, Sanders asked a simple question: “When did I say this?”

    Sanders never said it. If he does have a preferred list of teams he hope will draft him, he can communicate that as the draft approached, as Eli Manning did before persuading the Chargers to trade him after drafting him. But that’s not something Sanders has said.

    Sanders is the betting favorite to be the first overall pick in the 2025 NFL draft, so he’ll be the subject of many more news reports and social media posts. Football fans who want to stay on top of news about Sanders heading into the draft would be wise to consider the source.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Overlooked among SEC coaches, history shows Brian Kelly will have LSU ready to ‘pop’ in Year 3 with Tigers

    Overlooked among SEC coaches, history shows Brian Kelly will have LSU ready to ‘pop’ in Year 3 with Tigers

    DALLAS — In the mad dash to replace Nick Saban as king of the SEC’s hill, an outsider leads the pack.

    You know the coach and you recognize the championship resume, but he’s probably not the first name on the tip of your tongue. That man is Brian Kelly.

    The LSU coach has won more games than his colleagues — seven straight 10-win seasons spread across Notre Dame and LSU leads all of college football — and is seemingly in the championship discussion year after year no matter the challenges or amount of talent on his roster. Heck, he won 10 games and led LSU to the SEC Championship Game after inheriting 39 scholarship players in his first season. The knock, of course, is the lack of national titles in a 33-year career that has included stops at Central Michigan, Cincinnati and Notre Dame.

    But if there is to be a breakthrough, a changing of the tide, circle the 2024 season for LSU. History shows the third year is usually the best under Kelly’s leadership.

    “Year 3 is a level of accountability in every program that I’ve taken over, that is heightened,” Kelly told CBS Sports at the SEC Media Days on Monday. “There’s a trust factor and an accountability level within our process that pops, if you will, and that’s this year.”

    Much like Saban’s ballyhooed “process,” Kelly subscribes to the same path. As fans clamor for immediate turnarounds, Kelly provides success, but baked into that process is a slow build toward breakthrough in Year 3. 

    For Central Michigan, it was a nine-win year and MAC title. 

    For Cincinnati, it was an undefeated regular season and Big East title. 

    At Notre Dame, perhaps the toughest gauge of his career, it was an undefeated regular season and trip to the BCS National Championship.

    For LSU, well, continuing…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Why is former Broncos star Justin Simmons still unsigned? Plus, five best fits for 2024 free agent

    Why is former Broncos star Justin Simmons still unsigned? Plus, five best fits for 2024 free agent

    Jamal Adams recently resurfaced as the newest addition to the Tennessee Titans, marking the next chapter for a player once considered one of the NFL’s best safeties. His deal was arguably just as notable for reigniting questions about a fellow free agent: Why, exactly, is Justin Simmons still available?

    Released by the Denver Broncos in a cost-cutting move this March, Simmons doesn’t just have the name recognition of Jamal Adams. He’s also got the resume to back it up. Two years removed from leading the NFL in interceptions, fresh off another Pro Bowl nod, he’s easily one of the most accomplished veterans still unsigned ahead of the 2024 season. So why is he still seeking a new team?

    It’s not for a lack of interest in playing. Simmons has been open about wanting to “know where I’m going,” arguing he can be “the missing piece” for a contender. Which means the only logical explanation for his unexpectedly slow market is a glaring discrepancy between his perceived and actual value to other teams. In simpler terms: As is often the case in big-name free-agent negotiations, money is the likely culprit.

    Consider the Brandon Aiyuk saga in San Francisco, where the emergent wide receiver has entertained trade rumors while seeking a lucrative extension from the 49ers. All indications are the 49ers want to keep Aiyuk long-term. All indications are Aiyuk wants to stay put long-term. Odds are they’ll even stay together, at least for 2024. Yet there’s been no known movement on the contract front because each side is entrenched in its demands: Aiyuk believes himself worthy of top-tier receiver money, and the 49ers have a designated price point in light of lofty commitments to peers like Christian McCaffrey and Deebo Samuel.

    With Simmons, it’s not hard to connect similar dots. Three years ago, the ex-Broncos standout signed a four-year, $61 million extension averaging $15.25 million per year. Since…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More