Author: nfltalk

  • Washington State offense breaks out as spring football camp reaches midpoint

    Washington State offense breaks out as spring football camp reaches midpoint

    Apr. 12—Thursday marked the midpoint of spring camp for the Washington State football team and the offense might’ve had its best showing so far, according to coach Jake Dickert.

    There were no interceptions, no fumbles and a plethora of touchdowns throughout the day in Pullman.

    “It was obviously live reps today. Any time (you do) that, it’s going to bring out a ton of energy,” Dickert said. “I thought (quarterback) John (Mateer) was extremely sharp all day and went out and made some plays. It’s good to see the receivers in live situations doing some yards after catch.”

    Running back Djouvensky Schlenbaker and wide receivers Kyle Williams, Josh Meredith and Kris Hutson were among the players to reach the end zone. Meredith’s TD came on a snazzy jump pass by Mateer.

    And edge Nusi Malani nearly had an improbable pick-six off of quarterback Zevi Ekhaus that was juggled and dropped.

    “I can’t wait to see that one on film and we’re going to show it to the whole team too,” Dickert said. “He had it, he dropped it. It’s a big man’s dream for a pick-six and it just kind of slipped through his fingers there.”

    A packed running back room

    One of the biggest position battles of the spring is at running back, where a conglomerate of ball-carriers are vying to replace graduating senior Nakia Watson.

    Rushing offense has been a major weakness for the Cougs in recent seasons. Last year, WSU ranked 11th in the Pac-12 Conference in rushing yards per game (85.3) and yards per carry (3.0).

    On Thursday, the group was a bright spot.

    “Another good day for our backs and our best day running the football,” Dickert said.

    Throughout the spring, WSU is splitting reps evenly among about four running backs: freshman Wayshawn Parker, redshirt freshman Leo Pulalasi, sophomore Schlenbaker and junior Dylan Paine.

    Dickert said the goal when the 15 spring practices…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • 2024 NFL Draft: Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr. among top prospects that will attend draft in Detroit

    2024 NFL Draft: Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr. among top prospects that will attend draft in Detroit

    A solid amount of this year’s top prospects have accepted invitations to attend the 2024 NFL Draft. All told, 13 prospects are slated to attend the draft, which be will held in downtown Detroit from April 25-27. 

    As you can see, the list of attendees is impressive. It’s headlined by the last two Heisman Trophy winners — quarterbacks Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels — and also includes several of the draft’s other top prospects, including wideout Marvin Harrison Jr. 

    Here’s a look at the prospects who have accepted invitations to attend this year’s draft. 

    CB Terrion Arnold, Alabama QB Jayden Daniels, LSUWR Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State OL JC Latham, Alabama DL Laiatu Latu, UCLAQB Drake Maye, North Carolina CB Quinyon Mitchell, ToledoWR Malik Nabers, LSUWR Rome Odunze, Washington DL Darius Robinson, Missouri WR Brian Thomas Jr., LSULB Dallas Turner, Alabama QB Caleb Williams, USC 

    Each prospect is surely hoping to hear his name called during the first night of the draft. However, there is usually a player or two who has to come back for the second night of the draft after not being picked in the first round. Joey Porter Jr., for example, attended last year’s draft but was not selected in the first round. Fortunately for Porter, he didn’t have to wait long on the following Friday night after he was selected by the Steelers with the first pick in the second round. 

    One notable absence from the list of attendees is J.J. McCarthy, the former Michigan quarterback who is expected to be a first-round pick. 

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Does Ohio State or Georgia face more pressure in 2024 season after falling short of expectations?

    Does Ohio State or Georgia face more pressure in 2024 season after falling short of expectations?

    Two teams stand above the rest of college football entering the 2024 season with a strong case to rank No. 1 in the preseason polls. Both Ohio State and Georgia play spring games on Saturday with major focus on their programs. 

    Georgia’s quest for a three-peat fell short in last season’s SEC Championship Game, but the Bulldogs exorcised those demons with a 63-3 evisceration of Florida State in the Orange Bowl. A handful of key playmakers are off to the NFL, but Georgia is focused on setting the tone for 2024 despite missing out on a trip to the national championship. 

    Conversely, Ohio State limped into the offseason after an embarrassing 14-3 loss to Missouri in the Cotton Bowl. In response, coach Ryan Day quickly set his eyes on the most important offseason of his career. His strategy will decide everything. 

    The 2024 season also marks a demarcation in the history of the sport. The SEC and Big Ten grow by a combined six members, bringing 24 new claimed national championships to the leagues. The path to a national championship also gets more difficult as the College Football Playoff expands from four to 12 teams. Including a conference title game, winning a national championship could involve winning as many as four consecutive games against top-eight opponents. 

    With both programs facing pivotal offseasons, which program faces the most pressure in 2024? 

    Georgia’s pressure: Taking advantage of a post-Saban SEC

    For all the success Georgia has put together over the past seven years under Kirby Smart, it’s amazing to think the ‘Dawgs only beat Alabama once: the 2021 CFP National Championship to capture their first title in 40 years. The Bulldogs dodged the Crimson Tide during the second national title run the following year and…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • New NFL rule opens door for Eagles to bring back black helmets

    New NFL rule opens door for Eagles to bring back black helmets

    New NFL rule opens door for Eagles to bring back black helmets originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia

    A new NFL rule has opened the door for the Eagles to bring back their black helmets as a second alternate for the 2025 season.

    The league sent out a memo to teams on Wednesday announcing that all teams will be able to have a third helmet design in 2025. Teams going through a redesign will be allowed to have a third in 2024.

    The NFL finally allowed a second helmet for the 2022 season, replacing a one-helmet rule that was initially in place for safety but that had been outgrown by the success of the league.

    Here’s more from today’s memo to clubs about the third helmet design. The memo notes: “If either alternate color helmet is paired with a Classic uniform, the helmet colors and designs must be historically compatible.” pic.twitter.com/ulQqS7WffV

    — Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) April 10, 2024

    If you remember, the NFL allowed just one helmet per player for years, which slowed down the Eagles’ process of bringing back their fan-favorite kelly green jerseys. Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie always said that he wanted to bring back kelly green jerseys as an alternate but only with a matching kelly green helmet.

    When the rule was changed before the 2022 season, Lurie said kelly green would be returning for the 2023 season but they needed some time to work with Nike on nailing the classic shade because it wasn’t in the company’s current color palette. For 2022, the Eagles still wanted to take advantage of the two-helmet change so they added a black helmet in addition to their regular midnight green helmet.

    But then last season, the Eagles finally unveiled their kelly green helmets, which meant they couldn’t have a black one too.

    Lurie has for a couple years hoped the league would expand the rule to allow three helmets. Here’s what he said at the 2022 owners meetings in Palm Beach, while announcing black as a stop-gap option:

    “We’re also allowed in the…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • LSU defensive end Jaxon Howard, once a Gophers recruiting target, enters transfer portal

    LSU defensive end Jaxon Howard, once a Gophers recruiting target, enters transfer portal

    Former Robbinsdale Cooper star and LSU defensive end Jaxon Howard, one of the most highly touted high school football recruits from Minnesota in recent years, is on the market again.

    Howard played five games as a true freshman at LSU last season and participated in spring practice, but he’s entering the transfer portal, according to multiple reports Wednesday.

    A 6-4, 240-pound Minneapolis native, Howard was a four-star prospect and the No. 1 player in the state of Minnesota’s 2023 class.

    Gophers coach P.J. Fleck received an official visit from Howard in high school. The Gophers were among his finalists with Miami and Michigan before he signed with the Tigers in July 2022. Howard’s most productive game for LSU came against Wisconsin in the Jan. 1 ReliaQuest Bowl, when he had one tackle and a quarterback hurry against the Badgers.

    Fleck and the Gophers will be looking in the transfer portal to add depth on both sides of the ball for the 2024 season.

    export const sampleFunction = props => props.isValid ? props.value : props.error;

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Oregon State’s Damien Martinez to enter transfer portal as dynamic Beavers RB seeks new home for 2024 season

    Oregon State’s Damien Martinez to enter transfer portal as dynamic Beavers RB seeks new home for 2024 season

    Oregon State running back Damien Martinez intends to enter the college football transfer portal when it opens next week, 247Sports reports. Martinez ranked among the top 25 rushers in the nation in 2023 and posted 6.1 yards per carry. In the transfer portal, Martinez will be rated as the No. 2 running back, behind only Quinshon Judkins (from Ole Miss to Ohio State). 

    The two-year starter from Lewisville, Texas, rushed for more than 2,000 yards and 16 touchdowns in two seasons with the Beavers. He earned All-Pac-12 First Team honors as a sophomore while pacing an underrated Oregon State offense. With Martinez gone, Oregon State is down to three scholarship running backs for the spring. 

    Martinez was one of the few star players to stick around after coach Jonathan Smith was poached by Michigan State over the offseason. Three All-Pac-12 teammates — quarterback Aidan Chiles, TE Jack Velling and OL Tanner Miller — joined Smith in East Lansing. Multiple other players landed at Florida State and USC. 

    Fifteen different Oregon State players earned a spot on the All-Pac-12 team after the 2023 season. With Martinez set to leave, only one — offensive lineman Joshua Gray — will return.

    Devastating loss for Beavers

    Martinez had been vocal about returning to Corvallis, even after Smith left. He seemed to embrace the role of cornerstone.

    “I’m not one foot in, one foot out,” Martinez told 247Sports in November. “I’m here. I’m stuck on being here. This is where I want to be, and like I said, I’m comfortable here. I haven’t had talks about leaving at all even with all of the coaching stuff happening. I think I’ve said it before, but the coach here told me he wasn’t leaving and he ended up leaving. Loyalty is another big thing and I just wanted to…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • John Harbaugh: Defenders are going to be just fine without hip-drop tackles

    John Harbaugh: Defenders are going to be just fine without hip-drop tackles

    Ravens head coach John Harbaugh was happy to see the NFL move to outlaw the hip-drop tackle this offseason.

    The league adopted a rule to penalize the tackle, which sees a defender grab a ball carrier and twist them to the ground while falling on the runner’s legs. Ravens tight end Mark Andrews missed a large chunk of last season after a tackle that the league says would be a penalty under the new rule.

    Harbaugh cited the increased likelihood of penalty as the chief reason for his objection to the play and said “it needed to be out.” He also took issue with comments from pushback against the rule by saying that the hip-drop tackle is a relatively new phenomenon and players will be fine “because they tackled just fine without it for 100 years of football before that.”

    “When did you ever hear about the hip-drop tackle until like two years ago, three years ago, right?,” Harbaugh said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “That’s because it was discovered, probably, in rugby and started being executed as a standalone technique. It’s a three-part movement, [and] you’ve got to execute that play. You’ve got to be close enough to that ball carrier to actually get him around the hips, pull him close to yourself, swing your hips through and drop on the back of his legs. If you’re that close, wrap him up, tackle him and take him to the ground, like Ray Lewis used to do and everybody did for 100 years before that.”

    The violation will result in a 15-yard penalty in games, but it may be enforced more often through warning letters and fines because of the difficulty involved with seeing all aspects of the tackle in real time.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More