Author: nfltalk

  • NFLPA team report cards: Josh Harris drastically improves Commanders while Woody Johnson instills ‘culture of fear’

    NFLPA team report cards: Josh Harris drastically improves Commanders while Woody Johnson instills ‘culture of fear’

    SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA – SEPTEMBER 09: Woody Johnson, New York Jets owner, looks on before the game against the San Francisco 49ers at Levi’s Stadium on September 09, 2024 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

    INDIANAPOLIS — When the Washington Commanders ranked as the lowest-graded workplace in the league last year, new team owner Josh Harris responded bluntly: “I’m not an F-minus guy.”

    After a season to implement changes in the wake of Daniel Snyder’s forced sale, Harris proved it as the league’s consecutive-year 32nd team jumped to 11th place in the NFLPA’s annual “report card” survey.

    First-year head coach Dan Quinn ranked as the league’s most-liked coach as he took a 4-13 Commanders team to 12-5 and an NFC title game appearance in his debut year. The Commanders also improved their food services, travel and family accommodations as they rose from an F-minus workplace grade to B.

    In contrast, the New York Jets fell from the 21st-ranked team to the 29th as players reported concerns that team owner Woody Johnson was not willing to invest in improvements (Johnson ranked last), did not contribute to a positive culture (last) and did not commit to building a competitive team (second-last).

    “They talked about the culture – it’s a problem, top down,” NFLPA chief strategy officer J.C. Tretter said of the Jets’ response. “[They said,] ‘It’s a culture of fear here.’ And I think that stood out in those grades.”

    In the third year of their report-card survey process, the players union polled 1,695 total respondents, which averages to 52.97 respondents per team and 77 percent of union membership across active and practice-squad rosters. At least 35 players from each team responded to the poll conducted during team visits spanning the period from Aug. 26 to Nov. 20, with a high of 68 respondents from the New York Giants.

    The Miami Dolphins defended their title as the league’s best workplace for a second…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • As spring games disappear, teams are losing opportunities to connect with ‘regular’ fans — and make new ones

    As spring games disappear, teams are losing opportunities to connect with ‘regular’ fans — and make new ones

    The list of schools canceling their spring games is growing — and while the explanations vary depending on the coach or school — it’s clear that the fan-forward intra-squad scrimmage that has become a staple of the sport’s offseason is fading away. 

    That’s a disappointing development for fans, who have been routinely pushed to the side as college football endures the growing pains of the modern era. While the current college football calendar needs adjustment, those changes shouldn’t include chopping out one of the most accessible avenues for fans to experience big-time college football. 

    The sport is becoming increasingly professionalized, and that cold and calculated approach to costs is passed along to the fans. Prices for tickets, parking and concessions continue to rise across the country. Some power conference schools are marking up 2025 season tickets by 10% to include a “talent fee” intended to help pay the athletes. 

    Getting a family of four to a college football game has long been a logistical nightmare, but now the price tag is making more families reconsider the preferred location to watch their favorite team.  

    But the spring game, on the other hand, has never taxed fans for the stadium experience. 

    Many spring games are free, or at least free admission with a charitable cause, like a canned food drive at the gate. Even the most-coveted spring game tickets in the country only cost pennies on the dollar compared to a game in the fall. Ohio State had an announced attendance of more than 80,000 for last year’s spring game. Ohio State is doing away with its traditional spring game format in 2025, though a fan event will be held on April 12. 

    Ohio State, Nebraska…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Bengals to ‘reward’ Ja’Marr Chase as NFL’s highest-paid non-QB, give update on Tee Higgins contract situation

    Bengals to ‘reward’ Ja’Marr Chase as NFL’s highest-paid non-QB, give update on Tee Higgins contract situation

    The Cincinnati Bengals are poised to dole out a lot of money this offseason with wide receiver Tee Higgins, wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase and edge rusher Trey Hendrickson all seeking new contracts. 

    Higgins, the 2025 offseason’s top pending wide receiver free agent, was franchise-tagged last year, but that’s something Cincinnati is looking to avoid this offseason. 

    “I think Tee Higgins is a fantastic football player, and I want him on my team,” Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin said Tuesday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “Whenever I’m in charge of a football team, I want Tee Higgins, so I’m going to do what I can to get Tee Higgins. Our preference with Tee Higgins is do a long-term agreement. Always has been, and it continues to be. We’ll work hard to get that done.

    “We want to re-sign these guys, reward them for their ability level and add to the football team. It’s a tall task, we think we’re up to it and [executive vice president] Katie [Blackburn] has us in position to attack it well.”

    Agent’s Take: Bengals could pay a much steeper price if they don’t heed Joe Burrow’s plea to lock up stars

    Joel Corry

    Tobin reiterated the team’s preference is for “a long-term deal” when asked about using the franchise tag again on Higgins. As for Chase, who led the NFL in catches (127), receiving yards (1,708) and receiving touchdowns (17) in 2024, Tobin is comfortable making the fifth player since the 1970 AFL/NFL merger to win the receiving triple crown the league’s highest-paid non-quarterback. That would mean giving Chase a contract with a larger average-per-year salary than Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson, his former LSU teammate who is on a four-year, $140…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Chiefs anticipate that tight end Travis Kelce will return for 2025 season

    Chiefs anticipate that tight end Travis Kelce will return for 2025 season

    If Travis Kelce would have walked away from the NFL after Super Bowl LIX, as he was reportedly considering doing, it would have made sense.

    Kelce had nothing else to prove. He has set multiple tight end records, won three Super Bowl rings and is widely considered one of the greatest tight ends ever. He also has a highly successful podcast and at age 35, he’s at a point in his career in which most tight ends have long retired.

    But a little more than two weeks after the Super Bowl, the Chiefs are anticipating that Kelce will return for a 13th season. General manager Brett Veach said at the NFL scouting combine that the Chiefs are operating as if Kelce will return and anticipating that will be the case, according to Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star.

    “How we left it at the end of the season was he was fired up, has one more year under contract,” Veach said, via KCTV. “[I] still think he has the fire and desire to play.

    “As far as I’m concerned, there is no deadline. I think we left it as he’d be back. We’re excited to get him back and get him going.”

    The Kansas City Chiefs said they expect tight end Travis Kelce to return next season. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

    That leaves the door open for Kelce to still officially retire, but it doesn’t seem like the Chiefs anticipate that will happen.

    If Kelce does return, it takes away one offseason question for the Chiefs. Kelce’s numbers dropped in 2024, with him posting 823 yards. That’s his career low, not counting his rookie year when he played one game. But he’s still a valuable target for Patrick Mahomes, especially in key situations, and the Chiefs would happily welcome him back.

    The Chiefs had a rough loss in Super Bowl LIX. It seemed like they might lose their future Hall of Fame tight end this offseason as well. The early indications are that Kelce is ready for yet another season as he gets set to turn 36 years old.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Former Texas QB Quinn Ewers reportedly played through 2024 season with torn oblique

    Former Texas QB Quinn Ewers reportedly played through 2024 season with torn oblique

    Former Texas football quarterback Quinn Ewers played through a noticeable injury throughout the 2024 season. As it turns out, the injury was even worse than previously thought.

    Ewers reportedly played through the 2024 season with a torn oblique, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported Tuesday at the 2025 NFL Scouting Combine. The injury was originally thought, at least to those outside the Longhorns building, that Ewers was dealing with a strained oblique suffered during Week 3 against UTSA.

    Pelissero added another interesting note, stating Ewers actually suffered the injury in Texas’ second game of the season against Michigan instead of the following week. Ewers started the Longhorns’ third game of the year against UTSA but was removed early after apparently injuring his oblique, allowing for Arch Manning to see extended playing time for the rest of the game and the next week against Mississippi State.

    REQUIRED READING: SEC, Big Ten push for college football with CFP seeding debate on Tuesday meeting agenda

    Ewers is reportedly fully healthy after receiving a few months to recover from Texas’ College Football Playoff run that ended with a loss to Ohio State in the semifinals. He is also expected to throw at the NFL combine, amid multiple signal callers being expected to opt out of on-field drills in Indianapolis.

    Pelissero also reported Ewers has been training in Dallas with former Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy ahead of the NFL combine, which starts on-field drills on Feb. 27 and lasts through March 3.

    The 6-foot-2 quarterback completed 293 of 445 passes (65.8%) for 3,472 yards with 31 touchdowns to 12 interceptions last season while battling injury. He was solid in Texas’ three CFP games, passing for a combined 807 yards with six touchdowns to three interceptions against Clemson, Arizona State and Ohio State.

    Ewers, a…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Eagles have not received White House invitation after Super Bowl win but plan to accept if invited, per report

    Eagles have not received White House invitation after Super Bowl win but plan to accept if invited, per report

    Getty Images

    The Philadelphia Eagles do plan on visiting the White House this offseason after all. Per ESPN, the team will go to the White House if President Donald Trump invites them — ending speculation the team would not go if invited. The Eagles have yet to receive a formal invitation. 

    A White House official told Axios the Eagles did not decline in response to a report that the team planned to turn down a White House visit. 

    The first time President Trump was in office, the Eagles did not accept the invitation when they won Super Bowl LII in 2018. That year, President Trump rescinded the team’s invitation to visit at the last minute as some players planned to boycott the event. After the Eagles declined, no other NFL team has gone to the White House after winning the Super Bowl. 

    The Eagles would be the first NFL team to visit the White House in Trump’s second term if they do indeed choose to go. Of course, this all pends on the White House sending out the invitation. 

    Per CBS Sports Research, the Eagles had an average age of 26 years and 220 days — the sixth-youngest team to win a Super Bowl in the Super Bowl era (since 1966). 

    Philadelphia had a point differential of +68 in the playoffs, the best for any team since the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Their +12 turnover margin in the postseason was the best since the 1998 Denver Broncos and the 818 postseason rushing yards was the most by any team. 

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Big Ten, SEC set to unveil grand plans for College Football Playoff change … but is anyone else on board?

    Big Ten, SEC set to unveil grand plans for College Football Playoff change … but is anyone else on board?

    The only constant in college football is that everything is destined to change.

    Decision-makers declared the first year of the 12-team College Football Playoff a rousing success, but tweaks are coming, and two powerful voices are equipped to get what they want as soon as next fall. The question is whether the Big Ten and SEC will have the unanimous support required when the CFP’s 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame meet Tuesday at a hotel inside Dallas Fort Worth International Airport — or if they’ll make their intentions known and wait until 2026 when a new TV contract shifts voting power heavily in favor of the two most influential conferences in college sports.

    Soon, after months of talking and at least two clandestine meetings, the Big Ten and SEC may exert their newfound power. Their commissioners are expected to ask cohorts Tuesday to change seeding in the 2025 College Football Playoff, eliminating first-round byes for the four highest-ranked conference champions and basing seeding solely on the selection committee’s rankings. Such a change would require unanimous approval among the 10 conferences and Notre Dame, according to contract language in the original media deal with ESPN that expires this fall. If that doesn’t happen, the Big Ten and SEC are prepared to wait until 2026 when a new six-year TV contract with ESPN provides them more decision-making power without the need for unanimity.

    The seeding decision is only the tip of the iceberg the smaller conferences will soon try to navigate. The Big Ten and SEC are expected to present an idea to expand the CFP in 2026 to 14 teams and reward the two power conferences with multiple automatic qualifiers. Having been discussed behind closed doors among the Big Ten and SEC administrators, the…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Broncos LB coach Michael Wilhoite arrested on felony assault charge for allegedly punching police officer

    Broncos LB coach Michael Wilhoite arrested on felony assault charge for allegedly punching police officer

    Denver Broncos outside linebackers coach Michael Wilhoite was arrested on Sunday and faces a felony assault charge for allegedly assaulting a police officer, the Denver Post reported.

    Wilhoite, 38, pulled into the arrivals drop-off lane at Denver International Airport on Sunday afternoon and left his vehicle unattended, according to court records. A uniformed police officer working curb assignment approached Wilhoite when he returned to his vehicle and was told he could not leave his vehicle unattended in that area.

    In response, Wilhoite twice told the officer to “shut the f*** up,” then confronted him and “bumped his chest,” said the affidavit. The officer shoved Wilhoite back and the coach responded by punching him in the face, according to police reports.

    As Wilhoite attempted to get back into his car, the officer fired his taser, hitting the coach at his left hip and side. Wilhoite was shocked for a few seconds by the taser, but then got into his vehicle and drove away.

    Michael Wilhoite has coached outside linebackers coach for the Denver Broncos for the past two seasons. (Photo by RJ Sangosti/MediaNews Group/The Denver Post via Getty Images)

    The officer had “visible injuries” on his knees and jaw pain after the alleged altercation, according to court records.

    Wilhoite was later arrested and booked into Denver County Jail with a $5,000 bond. He appeared in court on Monday morning to face the charges and is expected to post bond later in the day.

    “We are aware of a situation involving Michael Wilhoite that occurred Sunday and are in the process of gathering more information,” said a Broncos spokesperson, according to Denver’s 9News.

    Wilhoite has been on the Broncos’ defensive staff for the past two seasons under coordinator Vance Joseph. He previously worked with Denver coach Sean Payton on the New Orleans Saints’ staff as a special teams assistant. Between his stints in New Orleans and Denver, Wilhoite was a linebackers coach with the Los Angeles Chargers for two…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More