Author: nfltalk

  • North Carolina in line to be featured on ‘Hard Knocks’ amid Bill Belichick’s first season as college coach

    North Carolina in line to be featured on ‘Hard Knocks’ amid Bill Belichick’s first season as college coach

    Bill Belichick being hired as North Carolina coach shocked the football world. His next move is another stunner.

    Belichick and UNC football are expected to participate in HBO’s upcoming offseason “Hard Knocks” series, multiple sources tell CBS Sports. The deal has not been signed with the university, but all indications are it will be completed. Front Office Sports first reported the news on Friday. 

    It will be the first time “Hard Knocks” has collaborated with a college football program, and perhaps no team is more interesting heading into the 2025 season than Belichick’s Tar Heels. Belichick, who for decades displayed a gruff demeanor with the media as coach of the New England Patriots, now continues his media blitz that began after his parting from the NFL.

    “Hard Knocks” expanded its series in recent years to feature not only training camp but in-season and offseason series as well. Last year, the New York Giants were highlighted in the inaugural offseason “Hard Knocks,” and many believed the series would be one-and-done.

    The show followed the Giants as they made the decision to not re-sign star running back Saquon Barkley, and it captured conversations around quarterback Daniel Jones and the team’s path to the draft. While it made for captivating sports television, many around the league thought it showed too many intimate moments of a team’s inner workings.

    Giants general manager Joe Schoen said this week at the NFL Scouting Combine that no team had reached out to him about participating in the offseason “Hard Knocks.” 

    “I think I know what I would tell them” Schoen said with a laugh, with the implication being that he would tell the team to decline.

    There have been rumors that no team wanted to participate in the…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Report: Raiders and Matthew Stafford have found common ground on a new contract

    Report: Raiders and Matthew Stafford have found common ground on a new contract

    Tom Brady’s meeting with Matthew Stafford was apparently productive.

    The Raiders and Stafford’s camp have found common ground on what a new contract could look like, the Las Vegas Review-Journal is reporting.

    Although “common ground” is not the same thing as actually agreeing to the terms of a contract, the report strongly suggests that if the Rams and the Raiders can come to an agreement on a trade, Stafford and the Raiders can come to an agreement on a contract.

    Whether the Rams and Raiders can agree is another matter. The same report says the Raiders “want to keep the No. 6 pick at all costs.” If the Raiders will not part with their first-round pick to get Stafford, then the Raiders might not get Stafford even if they’re on the same page about how much to pay Stafford.

    It’s still possible that the Rams will keep Stafford. In fact, the Raiders finding common ground with Stafford on a contract could help the Rams and Stafford to find their own common ground. But the Rams opened the door to moving Stafford by giving him permission to talk to other teams. And the Raiders’ talks with Stafford appear to be productive.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Report: Notre Dame director of recruiting Caleb Davis leaves to be GM at San Diego State

    Report: Notre Dame director of recruiting Caleb Davis leaves to be GM at San Diego State

    Feb 19, 2025; South Bend, Indiana, USA; Notre Dame head football coach Marcus Freeman and team are honored in the first half of the game between the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and the SMU Mustangs at the Purcell Pavilion. Mandatory Credit: Matt Cashore-Imagn Images

    According to a report, Notre Dame director of recruiting Caleb Davis is leaving the Fighting Irish to be the general manager at San Diego State.

    Davis, who came to South Bend with Notre Dame head coach Marcus Freeman, had already left the Irish once — he worked briefly as Troy’s GM before returning to the Fighting Irish. He worked with evaluations, on-campus recruiting and the walk-on program.

    New Notre Dame GM Mike Martin will have one less campus veteran to lean on as he works to replace former GM Chad Bowden, who decamped for rival USC.

    San Diego State is hiring Notre Dame director of recruiting Caleb Davis as its next general manager, a source tells @On3sports. https://t.co/xCIYxYxfsu pic.twitter.com/apibpWXnml

    — Pete Nakos (@PeteNakos_) February 28, 2025

    Contact/Follow us @IrishWireND on X (formerly Twitter) and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Notre Dame news, notes and opinions.

    Follow Tim on X: @tehealey

    Notre Dame Stadium is among the most expensive to build in college football

    Where did Malachi Field of Notre Dame land on PFF’s top-10 wide receivers for 2025

    Georgia 4-star 2026 cornerback Jorden Edmonds is offered by Notre Dame

    This article originally appeared on Fighting Irish Wire: Notre Dame director of recruiting Caleb Davis heads to San Diego State

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Should NFL ban the ‘Tush Push?’ Arguments for and against the league outlawing Eagles’ controversial play

    Should NFL ban the ‘Tush Push?’ Arguments for and against the league outlawing Eagles’ controversial play

    The “Tush Push” has become what appears to be nothing short of a cheat code for the Philadelphia Eagles, and some of their NFL competitors aren’t happy about it. 

    Specifically, the Green Bay Packers recently filed a petition to ban the play that entails teammates shoving a quarterback forward on a designed QB sneak. The play’s detractors often point to safety concerns as the reason why they want the play outlawed. 

    Nick Sirianni passionately defended the play during the NFL Scouting Combine, and it’s easy to see why the Eagles head coach is vehemently opposed to the “Tush Push” getting sidelined. 

    The play was an integral part of the Eagles’ successful 2024 Super Bowl run. Including the playoffs, Philadelphia was 39 of 48 converting the “Tush Push” into a first down or touchdown in 2024. Of the nine times they failed, the Eagles followed with a first down or touchdown on the very next play eight times while running the “Tush Push” again. Week 1 was the only time the “Tush Push” was truly stopped, and that was Cam Jurgens’ first start at center following Jason Kelce’s retirement. 

    Kelce views banning the play as being against the spirit of competition. “Maybe the Eagles just happen to be really, really good at it,” he recently said on “The Steam Room” podcast, via ABC News New York. “Is that fair to necessarily punish a team just because they’re better at it than everybody else? I don’t think that that’s fair.”    

    NFL rule changes 2025: League to consider virtual measurement and potentially the ‘Tush Push’

    Jordan Dajani

    One would expect that the “Tush Push” will be discussed during this year’s NFL owners meeting. If the “Tush Push” is banned, it’ll require at…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Pistons now hottest team in NBA; Abdul Carter diagnosed with stress fracture before NFL Combine

    Pistons now hottest team in NBA; Abdul Carter diagnosed with stress fracture before NFL Combine

    This is an article version of the CBS Sports HQ AM Newsletter, the ultimate guide to every day in sports. You can sign up to get it in your inbox every weekday morning here.

    🏀 Good morning to all, but especially to …

    THE DETROIT PISTONS

    Around this time last year, the Detroit Pistons had just lost their 28th straight game, setting the record for most consecutive losses in a single season and were hurtling toward a league-worst 14-68 record. That team was nowhere to be found last night.

    The Pistons put it on the reigning champions with an impressive 117-97 win over the Boston Celtics. That was Detroit’s eighth straight win, its longest such streak in 17 years. That 2007-08 team featured franchise legends like Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace.

    This year’s squad may not be on par with that one — at least not yet — but it was an impressive team effort against the Celtics. The Pistons got contributions from everywhere with Cade Cunningham leading the way and strengthening his All-NBA resume.

    Cade Cunningham: 21 points | 11 assists | 4 reboundsMalik Beasley: 26 points | 6 3-pointers | 5 reboundsTobias Harris: 16 points | 9 rebounds | 2 blocksJalen Duren: 13 points | 11 rebounds

    This type of success hasn’t been seen in Detroit for a while, but don’t make the mistake of assuming this is just a fun mid-season story. As our own Sam Quinn points out, the Pistons have been outplaying some of the East’s heaviest hitters for a while now.

    Quinn: “This one still has a ways to go before it reaches those heights, but at this point, they can no longer be treated as just an up-and-coming group of youngsters, either. Detroit is now 24-11 in its last 35 games, a better record than the No. 3-seed New York Knicks in that…..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • NFL says there were no injuries on tush push plays in 2024

    NFL says there were no injuries on tush push plays in 2024

    Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni called talk of banning the tush push play that his team has made a staple of their offense “unfair” earlier this week and took particular aim at arguments that the play was unsafe.

    Sirianni said that he didn’t think that the data would back up the assertion that the play was more likely to lead to injuries than other plays, but deferred to the NFL for specific information on that front. The NFL shared that information on Wednesday and it served Sirianni’s argument.

    Executive vice president Troy Vincent said, via multiple reporters, that the league found zero injuries on tush push plays during the 2024 season.

    The Packers have proposed banning the play, but the lack of data showing a heightened player safety risk would suggest that proponents of its elimination will have to find another argument to compel 24 teams to vote in favor of it.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • NFL rule changes 2025: League to consider virtual measurement and potentially the ‘Tush Push’

    NFL rule changes 2025: League to consider virtual measurement and potentially the ‘Tush Push’

    With the NFL offseason comes potential rule changes. Last year, we of course saw the move to the dynamic kickoff, as well as the league awarding a third challenge to a team following one successful challenge. We also saw the hip-drop tackle “outlawed,” although it was more often fined after the fact than called on the field.

    What rule changes could be coming down the line this year? First of all, the proposed changes have to be approved by 24 of the NFL’s 32 owners to go into effect, and those votes could take place at the NFL’s owners meeting next month in Palm Beach, Florida. Let’s take a look at some of the issues being raised around the league.

    Virtual measurement

    The chain gang could become a thing of the past. Well, it will still be on the sidelines, but not the main authority when it comes to ruling first downs. According to CBS Sports NFL insider Jonathan Jones, the NFL plans to recommend the use of virtual measurement as the primary way to determine first downs beginning in the 2025 regular season.

    Sony Hawk-Eye’s SkeleTRACK system is the future, and the NFL has been working with this technology since 2021. Jones actually detailed this a couple weeks ago at the Super Bowl. Check out his article, here. 

    “… A 14-camera system that specifically monitors more than two-dozen skeletal points on a player’s body. That system, along with the chips in the footballs and the 18 other specific cameras strategically placed around the stadium, can all be combined to harvest a fully computerized model that potentially tracks where the ball is when players are down, if someone has achieved a first down or if they have scored.”

    ‘Tush Push’

    One of the main takeaways from the NFL Scouting Combine is that other NFL teams still hate the Philadelphia Eagles’ “Tush Push.” The Green Bay Packers, who lost to the Eagles in the playoffs this year, issued a proposal to the league’s competition…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Who’s not worried about Ohio State football’s defense in 2025? OSU’s departing stars

    Who’s not worried about Ohio State football’s defense in 2025? OSU’s departing stars

    INDIANAPOLIS – It is a testament to Ohio State that eight defensive starters from the 2024 team were invited to this week’s NFL combine.

    It is also a reminder of how much the Buckeyes lose from their national championship defense, particularly on the defensive line. Ends Jack Sawyer and J.T. Tuimoloau and tackles Ty Hamilton and Tyleik Williams were the foundation of OSU’s defense, and all will be coveted players in the draft.

    But those linemen have mentored the next wave of Buckeyes at their positions, and they don’t fear a major dropoff in 2025.

    The front-runners to start next year for position coach Larry Johnson are probably ends Caden Curry and Kenyatta Jackson and tackles Kayden McDonald and Eddrick Houston.

    More: What’s at stake for the record 15 Ohio State football players headed for the NFL combine?

    “Those four guys are NFL players,” Sawyer said. “I’m excited to see what they’re going to do in their first year all as a group together playing. The sky’s the limit for those guys. I know coach Johnson is going to get those guys right, and I look forward to them all having a great season.”

    More: Revere grad Ben Christman complained of chest pains the day before he died

    Curry and Jackson saw extensive action last year and made impactful plays. McDonald has already proven to be a force as a run-stopper, and Houston was a five-star recruit a year ago.

    “Eddrick can be as good as anybody else in the country if he wants to be with his size and his speed and his athletic ability and how strong he is,” Sawyer said. “I think you’ll see him take a big leap going into his sophomore year and be a really productive player.”

    Tuimoloau included Jason Moore as a player to watch.

    “Even though we’re young, we have a lot of great talent,” Tuimoloau said.

    Hamilton said he doesn’t expect any dropoff on the…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More