Author: nfltalk

  • Former Ole Miss, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville expected to run for governor of Alabama

    Former Ole Miss, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville expected to run for governor of Alabama

    Getty Images

    United States Sen. Tommy Tuberville, a former longtime coach at the collegiate level, is expected to run for governor of Alabama in 2026, his associates told the Associated Press. Tuberville, who has served in his capacity as senator since January 2021, previously announced his candidacy for reelection to the U.S. Senate last November. 

    Prior to breaking into politics, Tuberville, a native of Camden, Arkansas, spent 36 years as an assistant and coach at several different programs across the nation. Notably, Tuberville coached at Ole Miss from 1995-98 and then at Auburn from 1999-2008. 

    In 10 seasons with the Tigers, he amassed an 85-40 record with five SEC West titles and one SEC championship. Auburn posted a perfect 13-0 record in 2004, capped by a win against Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl and a final AP Poll Top 25 ranking of No. 3. 

    Tuberville resigned from Auburn in 2008 after a 5-7 season and returned to coaching in 2010 at Texas Tech. He also led the Cincinnati Bearcats from 2013-16. 

    Tuberville isn’t the only former high-profile college coach to consider a gubernatorial bid. In February, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine picked legendary Ohio State coach Jim Tressel to serve as his lieutenant governor. Tressel is still mulling a potential run for Ohio governor after current Attorney General Dave Yost exited the race in May, according to The Columbus Dispatch. 

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • 49ers extend Fred Warner: Four-time All-Pro becomes NFL’s highest-paid LB, ‘sets the tone for our entire team’

    49ers extend Fred Warner: Four-time All-Pro becomes NFL’s highest-paid LB, ‘sets the tone for our entire team’

    The San Francisco 49ers lost plenty of talent in free agency, but they have spent the second half of the offseason rewarding some of their best players. First, tight end George Kittle received a four-year, $76.4 million extension, then quarterback Brock Purdy got his long-awaited deal in the form of a five-year, $265 million contract. 

    Now, linebacker Fred Warner has cashed in.

    On Thursday, the 49ers officially announced the signing of Warner to a three-year extension. According to CBS Sports NFL insider Jonathan Jones, the deal is worth $63 million, making him the highest-paid off-ball linebacker in the NFL. The deal includes a whopping $56.7 million in guaranteed money. 

    “Fred’s leadership is exemplary and his approach to his craft is contagious,” said general manager John Lynch in a statement. “Fred sets the tone for our entire team with the consistency, speed and physicality with which he plays. Off the field, his passion, energy, and professionalism are second to none and truly embody what it means to be a Niner. We are extremely proud to get this extension done and lock Fred in for the future.”

    Warner had two more years remaining on his original contract, but his new AAV of $21 million surpasses the $20 million AAV of Baltimore Ravens linebacker Roquan Smith. This is the second time Warner has signed an extension that made him the highest-paid off-ball linebacker in the league. He is one of two players with four First Team All-Pro selections over the past five seasons, joining Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett. 

    Warner has recorded at least 118 combined tackles in all seven of his NFL seasons, and has made three straight Pro Bowls to go along with three straight First Team All-Pro nods. This past season, he didn’t miss a single game despite fracturing a bone in his ankle in the Week 4 victory over the New England Patriots. 

    “It’s something I deal with every…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Colorado football recruiting Jordan Deck final schools

    Colorado football recruiting Jordan Deck final schools

    Colorado’s defensive back room is one of the deepest positions the Buffs have, and head coach Deion Sanders could add even more talent.

    The Buffs made the final four schools for safety Jordan Deck, a four-star recruit out of Frisco, Texas. Deck is the No. 24 safety prospect in the 2026 class according to 247Sports. Colorado will have to compete with Michigan, Baylor and Penn State for the standout safety.

    The 6-foot-1, 190 190-pound safety is also the No. 39 recruit out of Texas. Heading into his senior year, Deck has shown out in his time at Lone Star High School, recording 117 tackles, five interceptions and 22 pass breakups.

    Colorado hosted Deck earlier this month on May 9. However, the safety will visit his other top schools before deciding. He visits Michigan on May 30, Penn State on June 6 and Baylor on June 20.

    “I had a great experience, ” Deck said after his official visit to Colorado. “Got to see what Colorado was all about…I was educated on how Colorado is for the players. They give their players a lot of opportunities and then some. After visiting Colorado, I’m very fond of them and seriously considering them. But what really caught my eye was how Colorado is for the players.”

    If Deck were to commit to the Buffaloes, he would be the third recruit Sanders added this summer. Colorado got commitments from three-star tight end Gavin Mueller on May 14 and Juco prospect Domata Peko Jr. in April.

    Contact/Follow us@BuffaloesWire on X (formerly Twitter), and like our page on Facebook for ongoing coverage of Colorado news, notes and opinions.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Jerry Jones: Am I really against the tush push, or just don’t want Eagles to have an edge?

    Jerry Jones: Am I really against the tush push, or just don’t want Eagles to have an edge?

    Cowboys owner Jerry Jones voted in favor of the rule that would have banned the Eagles’ tush push, but he admitted that he’s not sure himself whether he really thinks the play should be taken out of the game, or whether he just doesn’t want the Eagles to have such an effective play in their arsenal.

    “Any play that’s out of the ordinary gets some extra scrutiny just because of the competition in there,” Jones said. “Here we are, the world champion is the main focus of the tush push, and here we are debating it, and having to decide. I thought, am I really against the tush push, or just don’t want Philadelphia to have an edge?”

    Asked which it is, a principled opposition to the play or just wanting to stop a division rival, Jones answered, “I don’t know. I flip flop.”

    Jones is saying out loud what others in the NFL won’t admit, that part of the opposition to the tush push is unrelated to the merits of the play. Instead, it’s about one particular team doing that play very well, and that one team winning the Super Bowl, and other teams wanting to ban the play to take away something that the best team in the league is doing better than everyone else.

    Ultimately, Jones and his allies mustered only 22 votes to change the rule, and changing any rule in the NFL requires 24 votes. The Eagles were joined by nine other teams that didn’t think it was fair to take away one play just because one team does it so well.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Nick Saban endorses further College Football Playoff expansion as SEC, Big Ten push for automatic bids

    Nick Saban endorses further College Football Playoff expansion as SEC, Big Ten push for automatic bids

    Getty Images

    A second wave of College Football Playoff expansion is potentially around the corner, and Nick Saban is on board with the idea of constructing a larger postseason bracket. The legendary former Alabama coach said further expansion “is probably a good thing” as the sport continues to map its path forward into uncharted waters. Despite the CFP having already expanded three-fold from four teams to 12 just last season, stakeholders are in the process of determining a possible new format for 2026 and beyond.

    Leaders from the SEC and Big Ten in particular are proponents of a 14- or 16-team playoff with multiple automatic bids divided among the conferences. Those two leagues could receive as many as four automatic bids apiece under the proposed models.

    “Back in the years, I was never for expanding the playoff because I thought bowl games were really important to the history and tradition of college football, but now that we have expanded the playoff, now the bowl games have taken a less significant role,” Saban Tuesday said at a charity event. “So I think expanding the playoff and having as many teams involved as we can without playing too many games for the players — I think that’s a little bit of a concern — is probably a good thing.”

    A Big Ten/SEC College Football Playoff takeover is inevitable, but what if it’s actually the best solution?

    Tom Fornelli

    SEC and Big…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • ‘Tush Push’ update: Eagles legend Jason Kelce meets with NFL owners in attempt to save controversial play

    ‘Tush Push’ update: Eagles legend Jason Kelce meets with NFL owners in attempt to save controversial play

    Getty Images

    Jeffrey Lurie brought a heavy hitter with him to the NFL’s league meeting. On Wednesday morning, the Philadelphia Eagles’ owner arrived with former Eagles center Jason Kelce, who was there to lobby for keeping the “Tush Push” play alive, as reported by CBS Sports NFL Insider Jonathan Jones. 

    It appears that Kelce’s presence might have made an impact, as the proposal to ban the “Tush Push” did not receive enough votes during Wednesday’s vote. The “Tush Push” will live to see 2025. The proposal reportedly came up two votes shy of passing, with 22 votes in favor of banning the play. 

    “I’m just going to answer any questions people have about my partaking of this play,” Kelce said on his podcast with brother Travis Kelce of his decision to speak to the NFL owners. “I don’t care whether it gets banned or not. At the end of the day, this is why you vote on things. If they vote to ban the ‘Tush Push,’ the Eagles are still gonna run quarterback sneak at a very high percentage.”

    Along with lobbying for the play, Kelce went to Minnesota to clarify questions regarding his history with the play and whether or not it played a role in his decision to retire. Kelce said that it played no role in his decision to retire after the 2023 season while adding that he would “gladly” come out retirement if he was told that his team was running the “Tush Push” 80 times per game. 

    “It’ll be the easiest job in the world,” Kelce said. 

    Eagles’ A.J. Brown has muted response to ‘Tush Push’ potentially being banned: ‘It’s only one yard’

    Chris Bengel

    …..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • MSU football is latest power program to offer 4-star CB Xavier Hasan

    MSU football is latest power program to offer 4-star CB Xavier Hasan

    Michigan State football has extended an offer to a big-time cornerback prospect in the 2027 class.

    Xavier Hasan of Raleigh, N.C. announced earlier this week that he has received an offer from the Spartans. Hasan posted about the offer from Michigan State on his social media X account.

    Hasan is a high-end four-star prospect in the 2027 class, according to 247Sports. He holds a recruiting rating of 95.42 in 247Sports’ composite system.

    Hasan ranks as the No. 8 cornerback in 247Sports’ rankings for the 2027 class. He is also listed as the No. 46 overall prospect and No. 2 player from North Carolina in the class.

    Michigan State is one of more than 30 schools to extend an offer to Hasan, according to 247Sports. He also holds notable offers from Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Tennessee, Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, NC State, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Rutgers, SMU, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Wake Forest and Oklahoma State.

    Contact/Follow us @The SpartansWire on X (formerly Twitter) and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Michigan State news, notes and opinion. You can also follow Robert Bondy on X @RobertBondy5.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Joe Burrow isn’t happy NFL schedule-makers gave Bengals fourth straight prime-time road game vs. Ravens

    Joe Burrow isn’t happy NFL schedule-makers gave Bengals fourth straight prime-time road game vs. Ravens

    The Cincinnati Bengals’ 2025 schedule is out, and star quarterback Joe Burrow has some critiques. First and foremost appears to be what the NFL has done to his Thanksgiving.

    On Nov. 27, the Bengals will travel to face the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium. As Burrow noted to reporters on Tuesday, it will be the fourth consecutive time the Bengals’ annual road game against the Ravens is a night game.

    Advertisement

    Baltimore has won all three of the previous games and has not lost a prime-time home game since Week 17 of 2022. Burrow, who has never faced the Ravens at home in a prime-time regular-season game in his career, would like the Bengals to get a home prime-time game instead:

    “Playing in Baltimore for the fourth straight prime-time year isn’t ideal. Maybe we could get one of those in Cincinnati next year. Please.

    The Bengals’ home game against the Ravens this year is a day game in Week 15 on Dec. 14.

    Either the Ravens or Bengals have won the AFC North in six of the last seven seasons, so it’s not a surprise the NFL has given them the prime-time treatment. Their last meeting was a true thriller, with the Ravens coming back to win 35-34 in an ending featuring a decent bit of controversy.

    Joe Burrow is 1-6 against Lamar Jackson in his career. (Photo by Todd Olszewski/Getty Images)

    (Todd Olszewski via Getty Images)

    The Ravens’ Thanksgiving game is one of four prime-time games on the Bengals’ schedule for next year, but only one of them are at home. That would be their “Thursday Night Football” date against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Oct. 16. The Ravens will also play four prime-time games next year, two on the road and two at home.

    Advertisement

    Of course, there is one way in which the NFL schedule-makers, or at least the schedule system, were kind to the Bengals. They will travel the fewest miles of any team in the NFL next season with 8,753.

    One way to increase that total travel would be an international game. Consider Burrow to be a vocal proponent of the…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More