Blog

  • Rutgers football recruiting: Ziyare Addison wins an award for his work ethic

    Rutgers football recruiting: Ziyare Addison wins an award for his work ethic

    Ziyare Addison is pulling in some impressive offers recently, including one from Rutgers football last week. But perhaps what is standing out the most about Addison is not the star rankings and the offer list. It is his character and his work ethic.

    On Sunday night, Addison was honored by Sumner High School (Riverview, Florida) with the Stingray Award, given to a football player who shows hard work and discipline.

    It is impressive that Addison, one of the top recruits in Florida, is also a player who sets the standard in the locker room for his hard work. Especially since he could likely slide by on his natural talent and still be a dominant player at the high school level:

     

    Addison is an impressive offensive lineman, checking in at 6-foot-4 and 280 pounds. He was offered by two Big Ten teams (Rutgers and USC) last Wednesday. Per On3, he is ranked as the No. 244 player in the nation.

    Rutgers and USC join an offer list that also includes Duke, Florida, Florida State, Louisville, Miami, Oklahoma and Ole Miss.

    On Sunday, Rutgers offered three-star defensive back Kaylib Singleton.

    Story originally appeared on Rutgers Wire

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Caesars Superdome undergoing $500 million in renovations before New Orleans hosts 2025 Super Bowl

    Caesars Superdome undergoing $500 million in renovations before New Orleans hosts 2025 Super Bowl

    The Caesars Superdome is getting some improvements, $500 million worth of improvements to be exact, that are expected to be completed by the time the stadium hosts Super Bowl LIX on February 9, 2025. According to city officials, the New Orleans stadium’s renovations are scheduled to be completed by July of 2024. 

    The upgrades, including new escalators, bathrooms and walkways, not only line up with Super Bowl LIX, but also with the stadium’s 50th birthday. Renovations have been in progress for some time, with the eastern side of the stadium completed in the summer of 2023. 

    With some of these new features already done, fans got to experience the new-and-improved Superdome during the 2023 season. Saints president Dennis Lauscha says the fans are the main motivation when it comes to upgrading the stadium. 

    “The focus really was on that fan experience, and I think for our fans this year that got to see half the building done, I think they’ll come out and say it was really a step up in that experience,” Lauscha said. “I think once our fans see the second half done it really is raising the bar.”

    The changes were approved in 2019 and at the time were predicted to cost $450 million. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, another $50 million was added to the cost. 

    Saints owner Gayle Benson included these upgrades as one selling point for New Orleans getting a Super Bowl bid. 

    Louisiana was initially granted the 2024 Super Bowl, concluding the 2023 season, but conflicts with Mardi Gras celebrations caused a change of plans. When the league moved from a 17-week regular season to an 18-week regular season, the Super Bowl was pushed back a week, creating the overlapping of events in the Big Easy. Las Vegas was instead given the Super Bowl for February 2024 and New Orleans was pushed back to 2025.

    This will mark the city’s 11th Super Bowl, tied with Miami for the most of all time. Caesars…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Florida expected to promote tight ends coach Russ Callaway to co-offensive coordinator role

    Florida expected to promote tight ends coach Russ Callaway to co-offensive coordinator role

    USATSI

    Florida is expected to promote tight ends coach Russ Callaway to co-offensive coordinator, 247Sports reports. Callaway has been on the Florida staff for the past two seasons and was hired as a defensive intern in 2022 after a brief stint as an offensive assistant with the New York Giants.

    “I think ultimately, he’s a guy that obviously is going to acquire more responsibility,” Florida coach Billy Napier said earlier this month during Florida’s signing day press conference. “How we define that, you know, I think we’ll work our way through that. Ultimately, Russ is a heck of a young coach. And much like me, he’s worked on defense in the past as a young coach, he’s called plays at different levels, played quarterback, has the leadership components, has the respect of the players. So, Russ is a guy that we certainly are excited about. And you know, he definitely in the future will require more responsibility.”

    Callaway, 35, had stops at Alabama, Murray State, Samford and LSU before arriving in Gainesville. He served as Samford’s offensive coordinator from 2018-19 before landing a job back in the SEC with the Tigers. 

    Callaway will work alongside Florida’s current offensive coordinator Rob Sale, who is entering his second season as the OC and offensive line coach. Callaway’s promotion is part of numerous changes on Florida’s coaching staff this season, which includes moving on from secondary coach Corey Raymond and defensive line coach Sean Spencer. 

    Even with all the staff changes, Florida coach Billy Napier told the Gator Tales podcast last month that he wants to continue…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • How ‘The Dynasty’ director approached asking Belichick about Spygate

    How ‘The Dynasty’ director approached asking Belichick about Spygate

    How ‘The Dynasty’ director approached asking Belichick about Spygate originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

    If you’re filming a 10-part documentary about the 21st century New England Patriots, you’ll need to ask some hard questions. Specifically to a man who may not want to answer them.

    That was the unenviable task of Matt Hamachek, the director of the Apple TV+ docuseries “The Dynasty,” which chronicles the Patriots’ unprecedented success and eventual fall from grace under former head coach Bill Belichick over 20-plus seasons.

    Episodes 3 and 4 of the series were released Friday, with Episode 4 focusing on the Spygate scandal that rocked the team during the 2007 season. Hamachek interviewed several prominent figures about Spygate — which involved the Patriots illegally videotaping signals from the New York Jets’ defensive coaches on the sideline during their Week 1 game in 2007 — but obviously had to broach the issue with Belichick.

    So, how did Hamachek approach asking Belichick, a coach notorious for shooting down questions he doesn’t like, about the subject he’d probably least like to discuss? Hamachek joined Tom E. Curran, Phil Perry and Michael Holley on NBC Sports Boston’s The Dynastic Post Show to reveal his strategy, which involved utilizing one of the most candid interviews Belichick gave as Patriots head coach.

    🔊 Patriots Talk: Dynastic postgame show – Takeaways from Episodes 3 and 4 | Listen & Subscribe

    “By the time I interviewed Bill, I knew that I had the Armen Keteyian interview,” Hamachek said. “I had seen Bill get asked about it enough to know that he was never going to go to the places that he had already gone in the Keteyian interview.”

    In May 2008, CBS News’ Armen Keteyian pressed Belichick for nearly 15 minutes in a rare 1-on-1 interview focused on the Spygate scandal. Belichick was surprisingly candid, calling out former Patriots video director Matt Walsh — “For him to talk about game-planning and strategy and play-calling and how he…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Five-star WR Jaime Ffrench sets visit to Texas

    Five-star WR Jaime Ffrench sets visit to Texas

    Texas will host one of the top prospects in the 2025 recruiting class this spring.

    Inside Texas’ Joe Cook recently reported the Longhorns have scheduled a visit with five-star wide receiver Jaime Ffrench on April 6.

    Ffrench decommitted from Alabama last month and is rated the No. 3 wide receiver in the nation for the 2025 recruiting class, according to 247Sports. The Jacksonville (FL) native hauled in 62 receptions for 1,247 yards and 14 touchdowns last season for Mandarin High School.

    He revealed his top five schools last June of Alabama, Penn State, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Florida State. Ffrench received an offer from Texas on Jan. 29 and it appears Steve Sarkisian’s staff has already made a positive impression on the multi-sport athlete.

    Contact/Follow us @LonghornsWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Texas news, notes and opinions.

    Story originally appeared on Longhorns Wire

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Bengals set to use franchise tag on Tee Higgins after making $21.8 million decision on receiver, per report

    Bengals set to use franchise tag on Tee Higgins after making $21.8 million decision on receiver, per report

    There won’t be any franchise-tag drama between Tee Higgins and the Cincinnati Bengals. 

    According to NFL.com, the Bengals have informed Higgins that they’ll be using the franchise tag on him this year. The news comes on the same day where the Bengals — and the 31 other teams — got an unexpected gift from the NFL when the league announced that the salary cap would be set at $255.4 million in 2024, which is $10 million to $15 million more than most teams were expecting. 

    The Bengals will now be using some of that extra money to pay Higgins, who will get a fully guaranteed one-year deal worth $21.816 million if he plays on the tag. Once Higgins signs his franchise deal, he’ll have until July 15 to work out a long-term contract with the Bengals. If that doesn’t happen, then he’ll go into the 2024 season on his one-year deal. 

    The fact that the Bengals decided to tag Higgins isn’t that surprising, but the timing of the decision is somewhat unusual. Most teams wait until closer to the tag deadline before making a decision on whether to use the franchise tag (the deadline this year is March 5). That gives the team more time to work out a possible long-term deal with the player. 

    Assuming Higgins gets officially tagged in the next few days, that will make him just the fourth player since 2018 to be tagged in the month of February. If he’s officially tagged by Monday, it will be the earliest that ANY player has been tagged since Jarvis Landry was hit with the franchise tag by the Dolphins on Feb. 20 back in 2018. 

    Keeping Higgins was high on Cincinnati’s priority list for the offseason. The Bengals didn’t hide the fact that they wanted to keep Higgins with everyone from Joe Burrow to the team’s director of player personnel, Duke Tobin, making it clear that they wanted the receiver back. 

    “He’s a big part of what we have done here,” Burrow said of Higgins in January. “It’s no secret our…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Michigan football recruiting under Sherrone Moore: Staff moves, QB battle, 2025 updates from top CFB insiders

    Michigan football recruiting under Sherrone Moore: Staff moves, QB battle, 2025 updates from top CFB insiders

    With many of the stars of the 2023 team like J.J. McCarthy, Blake Corum, Roman Wilson and Kris Jenkins turning their attention to the NFL Scouting Combine, there are plenty of holes on the 2024 Michigan football depth chart to be filled. That job falls to new head coach Sherrone Moore, who took over quickly after the departure of Jim Harbaugh to the Los Angeles Chargers in January. Spring practice is now just weeks away, and Moore will quickly look to make his mark for the defending national champions.

    In addition to working with the current team, the staff is working on 2025 and 2026 Michigan football recruiting. Michigan jumped in on elite 2026 running back Javian Osborne last week and the Wolverines appear to be on the rise for 2025 four-star linebacker Darrell Johnson, who has a relationship with new linebacker coach Brian Jean-Mary. If you want to see the latest Michigan recruiting news and updates on the staff and 2024 team, be sure to see what the proven team of insiders are saying at The Michigan Insider, the 247Sports affiliate that covers Michigan.

    The team at The Michigan Insider is providing on-the-ground updates on every development in the defensive coordinator coaching search, including insights from Sam Webb, Steve Lorenz, Zach Shaw and Alejandro Zuniga. The unrivaled insider team has the latest Michigan recruiting news and the inside scoop on the Michigan coaching search.

    The team at The Michigan Insider already has several recruiting updates from Moore’s first few weeks on the job, along with staff updates and an outlook for the 2024 roster. Head to The Michigan Insider now to see see the latest news.

    Sherrone Moore Michigan recruiting and coaching updates

    Michigan has one of the top returning tight ends in the nation in…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • 49ers cut Isaiah Oliver – Yahoo Sports

    49ers cut Isaiah Oliver – Yahoo Sports

    The 49ers released veteran cornerback Isaiah Oliver on Friday, the team announced.

    The move saves $2 million in salary cap space.

    Oliver appeared in all 17 games last season, but he played only four snaps or fewer per game in six of the last nine games. He did not play a single down on defense in the postseason but saw action on 35 special teams snaps.

    He totaled 58 tackles, two passes defensed, one interception and one fumble recovery in 2023.

    Oliver originally signed with the 49ers last March.

    The Falcons made him a second-round pick in 2018, and Oliver spent his first five seasons in Atlanta. He played 62 games with 38 starts for the Falcons.

    In his six-year career, Oliver has totaled 270 tackles, three interceptions 36 passes defensed and three forced fumbles.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More