Author: nfltalk

  • Here’s when the NFL could announce the next subject for HBO’s ‘Hard Knocks’

    Here’s when the NFL could announce the next subject for HBO’s ‘Hard Knocks’

    Here’s when the NFL could announce the next subject for HBO’s ‘Hard Knocks’ originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago

    NFL fans are eagerly awaiting the announcement of this offseason’s subject for HBO’s “Hard Knocks” documentary.

    The documentary goes deep into storylines surrounding the team, gaining insider access to the subject’s training camp to provide quite an insightful and interesting product.

    When will NFL and NFL Films announce the next offseason subject of the show?

    There’s no surefire answer to the question. But it’s certainly coming soon.

    Last year, news broke of the Jets’ participation in the offseason documentary on July 12. In 2022, the NFL announced their selection of the Lions to participate on March 28. The Cowboys’ 2021 selection was announced on July 2.

    The Rams and Chargers volunteered to participate in 2020, which was announced on April 7. The Raiders were selected for the 2019 version on June 11. And the Browns’ 2018 announcement took place on May 17.

    The previous announcement dates are quite volatile. But seeing as we’re teetering at the beginning of June, the announcement is surely coming soon. But there’s no way of knowing for certain.

    The Giants will appear in an all-new version of the documentary on July 2. No, this is not the notorious “offseason” version of the show. This series version aims to go behind the scenes with the Giants from the end of the 2023 regular season leading up to the summer.

    Usually, teams show strong disinterest in participating in the offseason version, as they view the documentary as a distraction during training camp. But the NFL has a clause in their contract with HBO to force a team to participate based on their qualifications to certain criteria.

    To force a team to participate, a team must meet these three criteria:

    1) The team does not have a new head coach

    2) The team has not made the playoffs in the previous two seasons

    3) The team hasn’t been on “Hard Knocks” in the past 10 years

    The three teams who fit the…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Florida coach Billy Napier makes first comments about Jaden Rashada lawsuit: ‘Comfortable with my actions’

    Florida coach Billy Napier makes first comments about Jaden Rashada lawsuit: ‘Comfortable with my actions’

    DESTIN, Fla. — A relaxed-looking Billy Napier said he was “comfortable with (his) actions” in his first public comments on the blockbuster Jaden Rashada lawsuit. Rashada accused the Florida coach of fraud, among other allegations, stemming back to a failed $13.85 million name, image and likeness deal.

    “I think it’s important for everybody to understand that I can’t comment due to the litigation,” Napier said at SEC spring meetings. “But I do have confidence in our legal team. I am comfortable with my actions. And I’m thankful for the university’s support. We’re gonna keep it at that and kind of let the process take its course.”

    The Florida coach said he first found out he was one of three listed defendants — along with top Gators booster Hugh Hathcock and former Florida staffer Marcus Castro-Waker — through media reports. Rashada’s legal team, led by well-known Houston lawyer Rusty Hardin, filed the lawsuit in federal court last Tuesday, arguing that the trio fraudulently induced Rashada, then a highly regarded high school quarterback prospect, to attend Florida with no intention of following through on a $13.85 million deal. 

    Specifically, the lawsuit claims “fraudulent misrepresentation and inducement, aiding and abetting fraud, civil conspiracy to commit fraud, negligent misrepresentation, tortious interference with a business relationship or contract and aiding and abetting tortious interference.” 

    Napier was asked how he’d address the situation with recruits and concerns that Florida didn’t live up to mark with its promises. 

    “This narrative has been out there for a long time,” Napier said. “I think we got that question two years ago or a year-and-a-half ago, and I don’t necessarily think it slowed us down, to some degree….

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Ranking every RB room in the NFL by tiers: Christian McCaffrey, 49ers headline top backfield group

    Ranking every RB room in the NFL by tiers: Christian McCaffrey, 49ers headline top backfield group

    For those who may not have their finger on the pulse of player movement in the NFL, let me be the first to tell you that it’s been a whirlwind of an offseason at the running back position. Several household names are now with new teams, which not only is poised to shake up your fantasy football drafts later this summer but should have an impact on the league itself in 2024.

    As these clubs get together over the next few weeks and months for the offseason workout program including mandatory minicamp, it’s a good time to take stock of all these backfield changes and stack them against one another. Below, we’ve collected every backfield in the league and slotted them into one of seven tiers ranging from the “Thoroughbreds” to the “Work In Progress” section. 

    Tier 1: Thoroughbreds

    Not only will you find stars in this tier, but what separates these teams is the depth behind their stars as well. While Christian McCaffrey is arguably the top back in the league, the 49ers also have capable backs like Elijah Mitchell Jordan Mason, and rookie Isaac Guerendo in their stable along with fullback Kyle Juszczyk. 

    As for the rest of the teams in this top tier, they’ve all gone through seismic change this offseason with some of the biggest signings in free agency. Baltimore added Derrick Henry to headline a backfield that also sports Justice Hill and Keaton Mitchell (recovering from a torn ACL). On top of their impact out of the backfield. Meanwhile, the Eagles added Saquon Barkley and the Packers signed Josh Jacobs, who are both capable of leading the league in rushing if fully healthy. The Ravens and Eagles also have the luxury of having quarterbacks (Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts) factoring into the rushing attack. 

    Tier 2: Quality depth

    This is a group that may not have the top-end star power as the group above but possesses plenty of depth to make them a formidable unit. The Lions are knocking…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Could Notre Dame football’s newest commitment Mark Zackery play two sports in South Bend?

    Could Notre Dame football’s newest commitment Mark Zackery play two sports in South Bend?

    It is not uncommon for Notre Dame athletes to play two sports, and on Monday was a perfect example of that as football and lacrosse star Jordan Faison helped the Irish win a National Title.

    Luminary names like Jeff Samardzija and Cole Kmet played football and baseball, and Notre Dame’s newest football commit could follow in their paths. Indianapolis cornerback Mark Zackery verballed to the Irish on Saturday, but not many know that he could potentially play basketball at the next level as well.

    It has been reported by Notre Dame Hoops Recruits that Zackery and basketball head coach Micah Schrewsberry have been in communication about playing on the hardwood as well.

    MBB: Mark Zackery is also the PG on his high school hoops team. Been talking with @Coach_Shrews about playing both at ND. Read elsewhere he had a hoops offer from Butler. https://t.co/hPQo3rMSNE

    — 🏀Notre Dame Hoops Recruits (@NDHoopsRecruits) May 25, 2024

    It remains to be seen if Zackery will actually play both in South Bend, but it does tell us how great of an athlete he is.

    Contact/Follow us @IrishWireND on X (Formerly Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Notre Dame news, notes, and opinions.

    Follow Mike on X: @MikeFChen

    Story originally appeared on Fighting Irish Wire

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Patrick Queen says he took less money to play for Steelers

    Patrick Queen says he took less money to play for Steelers

    The Steelers lured linebacker Patrick Queen from the Ravens in free agency. They apparently didn’t do it by making Queen the best financial offer.

    In a recent appearance with Steelers_DB, Queen said he turned down more money elsewhere to sign with the Steelers.

    “From all the 15 teams that I was talking to, it came down to like five at the end,” Queen said, via NFL.com. “It was just like five teams in the mix. Some of them were offering some $17 [million per year]. After that it was like, I have a chance to either go win or I have a chance to get paid. For me, the difference was like $4 or $5 million. I’m looking at it like, I’ve never been on a losing team before, and then I also don’t want to be a part of anything being rebuilt because I’m trying to win now. . . . I’m really just trying to win right now, get that out the way and then get paid later.”

    Queen signed a three-year, $41 million deal with the Steelers. The first year, at $13.84 million, is fully guaranteed at signing.

    The deal has no guarantees beyond 2024. Instead, there’s an early roster bonus in 2025 ($6.67 million) and 2026 ($2.5 million) to force the Steelers to make a decision on whether to extend the relationship.

    So it’s basically a one-year deal with a team-held option for 2025 and then 2026. Which means, frankly, a one-year deal would have been better. Especially if the Steelers win a Super Bowl this year. Then, Queen could have gotten paid as soon as next year.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Former Penn State team doctor alleges James Franklin attempted to interfere with medical decisions

    Former Penn State team doctor alleges James Franklin attempted to interfere with medical decisions

    USATSI

    A former Penn State team doctor alleges that coach James Franklin attempted to interfere with medical decisions involving players on the team, according to testimony obtained by John Luciew of PennLive.com. 

    Dr. Pete Seidenberg, the primary care doctor for Penn State’s football team in 2014, claimed during a civil trial against Franklin and the school that he was pushed by Franklin and athletic director Sandy Barbour to medically disqualify a player who attempted suicide in order to free up a scholarship. The unidentified player was in short-term psychiatric care. 

    “I perceived that as his attempt to influence medical decisions,” Seidenberg said. 

    Seidenberg added that he declined to give into the pressure from Franklin and Barbour. He included other instances in which he thought Franklin overstepped in trying to get his way on medical decisions, involving both himself and former director of athletic medicine Dr. Scott Lynch. The lawsuit was filed by Lynch, who alleges his unwillingness to go along with Franklin’s desires played a key role in his termination in March 2019. 

    Seidenberg no longer works at Penn State and practices medicine outside of Pennsylvania. 

    Lynch filed the lawsuit months after his dismissal and revised the complaint in 2021. Franklin himself was removed as a defendant in 2020 due to statute of limitations, so the lawsuit is directed at Penn State’s Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Dr. Kevin Black, who gave his dismissal. 

    Franklin has been at Penn State since 2014 with an 88-39 overall record. In 2023, he signed a 10-year…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • NFL exploring possibility of future international games in these two European cities

    NFL exploring possibility of future international games in these two European cities

    Getty Images

    The NFL is ever-expanding and has made a concerted effort over the last few decades to bring the game onto an international stage. This year, the league is set to play games in England, Germany, and Brazil, and it sounds like more countries and cities are being eyed for future regular season games. 

    Henry Hodgson, general manager of the NFL’s UK office, told the Irish Star that Dublin and Paris are two European cities. that the league is looking into for potential games. 

    “There’s a feasibility study, as we would call it, in a number of different European cities and Dublin is one of those,” Hodgson said. “Looking at the stadiums, taking local meetings … we’ll take away all of that information, digest it and determine what the next steps are.”

    He added: “That’s something that’s happening in Dublin, it’s happening in Paris for example, and a number of other cities around the world as well.”

    Hodgson noted that the NFL is planning to specifically evaluate Croke Park and Aviva Stadium for games in Ireland. Croke Park previously hosted the Bears and Steelers for a preseason game in 1997 and can seat 82,300 fans. Meanwhile, Aviva Stadium has hosted college football games in the past and has a capacity of 51,700. 

    This season, the NFL is slated to have five international games (three in London, one in Munich, and one in São Paulo) in 2024. On top of Ireland and France, the NFL has previously looked into having an international game in Spain as well. 

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • East Coast Spotlight: Recruiting Rumor Mill

    East Coast Spotlight: Recruiting Rumor Mill

    Nick Lucero/Rivals.com

    There is a mountain of big news heading into the busy month of June around the country. The East region is no exception. Rivals national recruiting analyst Adam Friedman has the latest in this edition of the rumor mill.

    *****

    CLASS OF 2024 RANKINGS: Rivals250 | Team | Position | State

    CLASS OF 2025 RANKINGS: Rivals250 | Team | Position | State

    CLASS OF 2026 RANKINGS: Rivals250 | Position | State

    TRANSFER PORTAL: Latest news | Transfer search | Transfer tracker/player ranking (football) | Transfer team ranking (football) | Transfer tracker/player ranking (basketball) | Transfer team ranking (basketball) | Rivals Portal Twitter

    *****

    Iheanacho’s recruitment is still in the early stages but some teams have already made a strong impression. Georgia, Penn State, Tennessee, Alabama and Texas are just some of the teams that have caught his eye thus far.

    Iheanacho has lots of time to do his research and get to know the coaches at these schools but he’s already built a good relationship with Penn State offensive line coach Phil Trautwein, Alabama offensive line coach Chris Kapilovic and Oregon offensive line coach A’lique Terry.

    There will be plenty of visits ahead for Iheanacho but one school he’d like to see in the near future is Tennessee.

    *****

    Georgia hosted Gilchrist for an unofficial visit earlier this month and he really enjoyed the environment in Athens. He got to spend time with the coaches and liked getting to know them more. The Bulldogs are just one of his final seven schools along with Alabama, South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Penn State.

    Gilchrist has official visits to South Carolina and Maryland set up right now and he loves both schools because the coaching staffs have been completely up front with him throughout the recruiting process.

    Gilchrist did admit South…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More