Author: nfltalk

  • Connor Williams landing spots: Former Cowboys, Dolphins OL talking to multiple teams about a deal, per report

    Connor Williams landing spots: Former Cowboys, Dolphins OL talking to multiple teams about a deal, per report

    Another notable NFL player is expected to sign somewhere before the start of the 2024 season. Connor Williams, a veteran interior offensive lineman who played previously for the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins, is currently speaking with multiple teams as he looks to pick his new team before training camp, via ESPN. 

    Williams, who suffered a season-ending ACL injury in Week 14 of the 2023 season, is expected to be ready for Week 1. Williams played in nine games last season for the Dolphins. 

    The 50th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, Williams started 10 games for Dallas at left guard in 2018. Williams’ blocking helped the Cowboys capture a playoff berth in addition to Ezekiel Elliott winning his second rushing title. He suffered a season-ending ACL injury in 2019 but returned to play in each of the Cowboys’ 16 regular-season games in 2020. 

    Despite a solid 2021 season (he allowed the fewest pressures of any Cowboys linemen that season), Williams was given the chance to test the open market in 2022. He ultimately signed a two-year deal with the Dolphins, where he started…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Ohio State RB Caleb Downs? Ryan Day says star DB getting reps on offense for Buckeyes has been discussed

    Ohio State RB Caleb Downs? Ryan Day says star DB getting reps on offense for Buckeyes has been discussed

    247Sports

    Ohio State coach Ryan Day may be looking for even more ways to get transfer portal prize Caleb Downs involved in 2024. While meeting with reporters, Day didn’t rule out putting the star safety onto the field as a running back in 2024, with Downs participating in some meetings with the position group leading up to the start of fall camp.

    “It was part of the recruiting process (him) possibly doing a little bit of running back as well,” Day said. “It’s something he wanted to do. We’ve been having him in some of the meetings and some of the individual drills as a possibility there if needed down the road as we continue to build depth at that position. 

    Downs isn’t a stranger to the running back position, 247Sports’ No. 1 ranked transfer in the 2024 class played the position at Mill Creek High School in Hoschton, Georgia.

    “He could probably be a full-time running back at the Power [Four] level if he wanted to as he’s difficult to bring down with the pigskin in his hands and knows how to find green grass,” said 247Sports Director of Scouting Andrew Ivins in Downs’ high school scouting report.

    According to his MaxPreps profile, Downs rushed for 389 yards and 20 touchdowns on 57 attempts during his senior season and finished with 648 yards and 27 total touchdowns during his three-year varsity career.

    “Where it goes, I don’t really know right now,” Day said. “But I know he has the athleticism to do it.”

    While it would be fun to see a player with Downs’ talent get a chance to shine on offense, the Buckeyes aren’t exactly hurting for backfield talent. CBS Sports ranked Ohio…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Bears make DeAndre Carter free agent signing official

    Bears make DeAndre Carter free agent signing official

    Bears make DeAndre Carter free agent signing official originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago

    The Chicago Bears have made it official, signing return specialist DeAndre Carter to a one-year contract Tuesday.

    Carter is expected to compete for a roster spot during training camp, with Velus Jones and Dante Pettis likely battling for the return role at Halas Hall.

    In 17 games with the Las Vegas Raiders last season, Carter had 232 punt return yards and 262 kick return yards. He also caught four passes for 39 yards for the Raiders.

    This will mark Carter’s second stint with the Bears, having appeared in four games with the team during the 2020 season. In that run, he had four punt returns for 30 yards.

    He has averaged 22.4 yards per kick return in his career, with one touchdown to his credit.

    The Bears’ kick return game is an area they want to strengthen after Jones averaged 27.2 yards per return last season on kickoffs. Trent Taylor had 23 punt returns for 188 yards, but signed with the San Francisco 49ers during the offseason.

    The Bears did not have to make a corresponding roster move to add Carter to the 90-man roster.

    Click here to follow the Under Center Podcast.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Rattler Rewind: How FAMU ‘RAC Boy’ Jacquay Nunnally caught and ran his way to football stardom

    Rattler Rewind: How FAMU ‘RAC Boy’ Jacquay Nunnally caught and ran his way to football stardom

    FAMU wide receiver Jacquay Nunnally lit up defenses as a member of the RAC Boys in 1998. He was voted to the 50th anniversary All-MEAC team.

    Rattler Rewind is a weekly summertime series authored by the Tallahassee Democrat’s FAMU Beat Reporter, Gerald Thomas. If you have suggestions for future Rattler Rewind guests, contact Thomas at GDThomas@Tallahassee.com.

    Hearing the name ‘Jacquay Nunnally’ gives Florida A&M football fans nostalgic memories of one of the most explosive athletes in the Orange and Green.

    Nunnally played wide receiver for the Rattlers from 1997-2000, where he garnered four All-American and All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference honors during his tenure. He also was named the Black College Player of the Year twice, in 1998 and 2000. Nunnally was inducted into the FAMU Sports Hall of Fame in 2009 and the MEAC Hall of Fame in 2010.

    However, Nunnally didn’t arrive on The Highest of Seven Hills destined for stardom. Endless work accompanied by a bit of luck landed the record-shattering Nunnally as one of FAMU football’s most revered football players.

    “We had a really good receiving corps ― John Rutledge, Marvin Taylor, Undre Williams ― we had so many receivers,” Nunnally said in a phone interview with the Tallahassee Democrat. “So coming into that redshirt freshman year, I was like third or fourth string. It was to the point where, in the first game of the year, Demetris Bendross (former FAMU receiver) and I were on the sidelines squirting water on each other to make it look like we were sweating when we took pictures.

    “That’s how I ended up with number 85. I was nothing.”

    Early in the 1997 season, injuries piled up on FAMU’s receivers.

    An abbreviated position group and a matter of opportunity provided Nunnally a fast track to show he was capable of quality playing time. And Nunnally…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Second-round WR Ladd McConkey signs his rookie deal with the Chargers

    Second-round WR Ladd McConkey signs his rookie deal with the Chargers

    The Chargers have signed second-round receiver Ladd McConkey to his four-year rookie deal.

    Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that McConkey will receive the most guaranteed money in NFL history for the 34th overall pick.

    The Chargers now have signed their entire nine-player 2024 draft class.

    McConkey was the final second-round NFL pick to sign his rookie deal. Only seven first-rounders and two third-rounders remain unsigned.

    Los Angeles, in need of receivers after parting ways with Mike Williams and Keenan Allen this offseason, traded up from No. 37 and also sent No. 110 to the Patriots in exchange for Nos. 34 and 137.

    McConkey played 39 games with 21 starts at Georgia. He was a freshman All-SEC honoree in 2021 when he caught 31 passes for 447 yards with five touchdowns. He then caught 58 passes for 762 yards with seven touchdowns in 2022.

    Dealing with multiple injuries in 2023, he had 30 receptions for 478 yards with two touchdowns.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Les Miles sues LSU claiming vacated wins have eliminated him from College Football Hall of Fame consideration

    Les Miles sues LSU claiming vacated wins have eliminated him from College Football Hall of Fame consideration

    Getty Images

    Former college football coach Les Miles filed a lawsuit against LSU claiming that the school’s decision to vacate 37 of his wins from 2012-15 eliminated him from consideration for the College Football Hall of Fame. According to the suit, filed in the Middle District of Louisiana, Miles is seeking “appropriate remedy for the blot placed on his good name and reputation” by LSU’s decision. 

    The NCAA and the National Football Foundation, which oversees the College Football Hall of Fame, are also listed as defendants. At issue is the fact that the 37 vacated wins dropped Miles’ career winning percentage below .600, which is the automatic cutoff for a coach to be considered. 

    According to CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd, Miles would have been eligible for the hall of fame in Nov. 2023 when he turned 70. Dodd notes that neither of the three Division I schools at which he coached — Oklahoma State, LSU and Kansas — are believed to have nominated him. 

    Boasting a career record of 108-73 without the vacated wins, Miles’ winning percentage sits at around .597. LSU was forced to vacate the wins and was placed on probation when an NCAA investigation uncovered a Level I recruiting violation committed during Miles’ tenure. 

    According to the NCAA’s release, the Level I violation dates back to 2012 when a representative of LSU’s athletics interests paid the father of a prospective athlete a total of $180,150 over a five-year span as part of an embezzlement scheme. The athlete enrolled at LSU and competed from 2012-16. The representative has been disassociated from the program for 10…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Chiefs DT Isaiah Buggs arrested for second time this offseason, this time for domestic violence, burglary

    Chiefs DT Isaiah Buggs arrested for second time this offseason, this time for domestic violence, burglary

    USATSI

    Kansas City Chiefs defensive tackle Isaiah Buggs’ tumultuous offseason continued Sunday in Alabama after he was arrested and charged with both domestic violence and burglary by the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office.

    Buggs, who is 27 years old, had his bond set at $5,000, but it is unclear if he has been bailed out at this point. He was also charged with two misdemeanors stemming from an animal cruelty case back in May. The Chiefs signed Buggs to their practice squad in January before re-signing him to a futures contract following their second Super Bowl win in a row in February.

    The 6-foot-3, 306-pound defensive tackle entered the NFL as a sixth-round pick (192nd overall) by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2019 NFL Draft. He was a Steeler for three years before being released in January of 2022. The Las Vegas Raiders signed him to their practice squad in January of 2022 before releasing him weeks later. The Detroit Lions picked him up later that summer, and he remained in Detroit until being cut in January of 2024. 

    Buggs has totaled 89 tackles, two sacks, four tackles for loss, forced and recovered one fumble and deflected four passes in 56 career NFL games, 23 of which were starts. He isn’t the only Chiefs player who has had legal issues this offseason, as wide receiver Rashee Rice also has had multiple charges levied against him stemming from a crash that occurred because of his street racing participation in Dallas. 

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • BOOM! Ohio State football sees 2025 running back Isaiah West commits on Father’s Day

    BOOM! Ohio State football sees 2025 running back Isaiah West commits on Father’s Day

    It seems like Ohio State football is on another one of its fantastic recruiting runs.

    Over the last 12 days the Buckeyes have seen the 2025 class grow as running back Bo Jackson, safety Faheem Delane, and wide receiver Quincy Porter all joined the fold. You can add a fourth with running back Isaiah West pulling the trigger for Ohio State on Father’s Day.

    The Philadelphia native stands 5-foot, 11-inches and weighs 208-pounds. West is the nation’s No. 527 overall prospect and 44th running back according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

    West was previously commited to Kentucky, but an impending Buckeye offer changed his mind and reopened the process. This weekend’s official visit sealed the deal.

    With West joining the class, Ohio State now has 16 commitments in a class that keeps its No. 1 ranking. With two running backs in the group, it wouldn’t surprise anyone if they added a third, with Jordon Davison at the top of the list.

    Contact/Follow @BuckeyesWire on X (formerly Twitter) and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Ohio State news, notes and opinion. Follow Michael Chen on X. 

    Story originally appeared on Buckeye Wire

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More