Author: nfltalk

  • Free agent DE DeMarcus Walker visiting Giants on Wednesday

    Free agent DE DeMarcus Walker visiting Giants on Wednesday

    Free agent pass rusher DeMarcus Walker is visiting the Giants on Wednesday, Peter Schrager of ESPN reports.

    Giants defensive coordinator Shane Bowen coached Walker in Tennessee in 2022.

    The Bears released Walker on Feb. 21, and he has remained a free agent since. Walker was scheduled to make $5.2 million in base salary and count $5.916 million against the Bears’ cap.

    He started all 17 games for the Bears last season but totaled only 47 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 16 quarterback hits.

    The Broncos made Walker a second-round pick in 2017, and he spent four seasons in Denver, one in Houston, one in Tennessee and two in Chicago.

    Walker, 30, signed a three year, $21 million contract with the Bears in 2023 when he last was a free agent. He had $15.65 million in guaranteed money.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Federal investigators seize thousands of ‘intimate images’ during probe into ex-Michigan assistant Matt Weiss

    Federal investigators seize thousands of ‘intimate images’ during probe into ex-Michigan assistant Matt Weiss

    USATSI

    Thousands of photos and videos were seized by the Department of Justice as part of the investigation into former Michigan assistant football coach Matt Weiss, the Associated Press reports. The seizure was revealed in court filings part of a lawsuit against Weiss and UM released on Tuesday. 

    Weiss, a former co-offensive coordinator under Jim Harbaugh at Michigan, was indicted in March for allegedly hacking into the private accounts of students and athletes around the country to steal intimate photographs. The indictment alleges that he downloaded the information of more than 150,000 athletes and used it to hack into the social media, email and cloud storage accounts of more than 2,000, primarily female college athletes. His alleged crimes date back to at least 2015. 

    “Thousands of candid, intimate photographs and videos have been seized from the defendant’s electronic devices and from his cloud storage accounts,” the Justice Department’s Mega Victim Case Assistance Program said, according to the AP. “Many show victimes naked. Some show victims engaged in explicit sexual acts.” 

    Weiss faces 24 federal charges: 14 counts of unauthorized access to computers and 10 counts of aggravated identity theft. He plead not guilty to all of them. At least a portion of the alleged crimes occurred from Dec. 21-23 within Michigan’s football facility as the Wolverines prepared to play TCU in the 2022 College Football Playoff. Weiss was suspended from Michigan in January 2023 when campus police launched their initial investigation, citing only “computer crimes.” 

    Weiss spent 18 years…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • NFL Draft: Here’s when top CB will reportedly work out for teams after missing pre-draft process with injuries

    NFL Draft: Here’s when top CB will reportedly work out for teams after missing pre-draft process with injuries

    Getty Images

    University of Michigan cornerback Will Johnson is finally healthy. As a result, he’ll hold a workout for NFL teams next Monday in Ann Arbor, according to NFL Media. 

    Johnson suffered a hamstring injury in February and was unable to participate in either the NFL Scouting Combine or Michigan’s Pro Day last month. He also dealt with multiple injuries during the 2024 season, missing time with both a shoulder issue and turf toe that affected his play on the field.

    Of the toe injury, Johnson said it “sounds like just a toe, but I had tore some ligaments in my toe, so I couldn’t run, couldn’t plant, couldn’t do anything … for a while, really until mid-January,” via ESPN.

    He was considered the top cornerback prospect — and possibly top defensive prospect — in the draft coming into the season, but the injuries and subpar season relative to his performance in 2023 have made that more of a question. During that…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Javian Osborne notre dame football Dallas cowboys michigan wolverines

    Javian Osborne notre dame football Dallas cowboys michigan wolverines

    Notre Dame football is one of two finalists for 2026 Texas running back Javian Osborne, and on Monday he had some very kind words for the Irish.

    When speaking with On3’s Josh Newberg, the 5-foot, 10-inch and 195-pound star compared Notre Dame to a historic NFL franchise. Osborne said “Notre Dame is like the Dallas Cowboys of college football.”

    The nation’s No. 83 overall prospect according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings has the Irish and Michigan as his two finalists, and while there isn’t a commitment date set, he’ll visit both of the schools in mid-June.

    Osborne will take a few other official visits as well, as he has one scheduled to see Georgia along with Miami. Those two aren’t really seen as competitors for his commitment, but they will surely try and sway him to change his mind about their programs.

    You have to expect that Osborne will make a decision shortly after he concludes his official visits, so we will know fairly soon is he’s joining the Dallas Cowboys of college football.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Geno Smith says he didn’t counter Seattle’s contract offer

    Geno Smith says he didn’t counter Seattle’s contract offer

    After the Seahawks traded quarterback Geno Smith to the Raiders, Seattle G.M. John Schneider said that the team made an offer to Smith — and that it wasn’t “a very long negotiation.”

    As it turns out, there was no negotiation at all. Smith told Albert Breer of SI.com that his representatives didn’t even counter the offer the Seahawks had made.

    It was more than the money, which fell “well shy” of the desired APY. The issue was the structure, which once again didn’t fully guarantee payments beyond the first year of the deal. It meant that the Seahawks would continue to have the same year-to-year flexibility with Smith.

    And it’s the same year-to-year flexibility they have with his replacement, Sam Darnold.

    Enter the Raiders. More importantly, enter Pete Carroll. With Smith’s former Seahawks coach not in the league in 2024, there were no limitations on Carroll’s ability to talk to Smith. About anything.

    And talk they did.

    “I would call him whenever I got frustrated,” Smith told Breer. “He talked me through things, and he still coached me. And I think that’s what makes him such a special man, is that he was coaching me even when he wasn’t my head coach. A lot of the things that he was telling me, a lot of conversations we had really kept me steady throughout the season, and kept my head on straight. Because, again, man, this is a team that I gave everything I had to.”

    Smith was frustrated last year in part because he didn’t get an extension from the Seahawks. And nothing would have prevented Carroll and Smith from agreeing to try to partner up in 2025, if Carroll gets another job.

    Such a plan would have violated no rules, as long as they stopped talking after Carroll took the Las Vegas job. And, as it turned out, Smith and Carroll are together again. And Smith has the new contract he didn’t get in Seattle.

    Still, Smith has landed in a tougher spot. Regardless of whether the Seahawks and…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Drew Pyne transfers to Bowling Green: Eddie George adds veteran QB ahead of first season, per report

    Drew Pyne transfers to Bowling Green: Eddie George adds veteran QB ahead of first season, per report

    Getty Images

    Bowling Green landed a commitment from Missouri transfer quarterback Drew Pyne, according to ESPN, giving first-year Falcons coach Eddie George a veteran hand to potentially lead his offense in 2025. This will be Pyne’s fourth school in his sixth year of college football after signing with Notre Dame in 2020. 

    Though he was in the same recruiting class as now-NFL standouts like Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud, Pyne still has two years of eligibility remaining. The COVID-shortened 2020 season did not count against his eligibility, he took a redshirt season after playing in just two games in 2021 and he was limited to just two games in 2023 due to various injuries, allowing him to utilize a medical redshirt. 

    Pyne played in just six games in his first two seasons at Notre Dame but took over as the starter in 2022 after Tyler Buchner suffered a season-ending injury just two games into the year. Pyne led the Fighting Irish to a 9-4 record in its first year under coach Marcus Freeman, capped by a win against No. 19 South Carolina in the Gator Bowl, while throwing for 2,021 yards and 22 touchdowns. 

    Bowling Green AD sees late hire as ‘unique advantage’ for coach Eddie George in transfer portal era

    Richard Johnson

    Pyne transferred to Arizona State in 2023, where he made one start before injuries cut his year short, and Missouri in 2024, where he served as the…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Raiders cut Jack Jones after failed attempts to trade him, per report

    Raiders cut Jack Jones after failed attempts to trade him, per report

    The Las Vegas Raiders have released Jack Jones, per NFL Network. Las Vegas did try to trade Jones leading up to his release, but found no takers for the veteran cornerback over the last few days. 

    Jones started 16 of 17 games for the Raiders last season, totaling 16 passes defensed and three interceptions to go with his 69 tackles. He was previously on the New England Patriots until the middle of last season, when New England cut him and Las Vegas claimed him. Jones started three games and had two interceptions, finishing with five interceptions in 19 games with the Raiders. 

    A fourth-round pick of the Patriots in the 2022 NFL Draft, the 27-year old Jones has seven career INT in three seasons. Jones struggled in coverage with the Raiders, as opposing quarterbacks targeting him completed 60.7% with 10 touchdown passes, masking the three interceptions by Jones. He also allowed an 88.6 passer rating when targeted as the primary defender, along with 11 completions of 20+ yards in 2024. 

    Jones was excellent in coverage with the Patriots, allowing a 54.0 passer rating when targeted as the primary defender. he struggled in 2024, but allowed just a 21.5 passer rating in his seven games with Las Vegas in 2023. 

    Mark Davis jokes the offseason is his ‘favorite time’ of year because the Raiders are undefeated

    Shanna McCarriston

    Because Jones was released, teams won’t have to give up a compensatory pick to sign him. His market may be quicker than the other available free agent cornerbacks. 

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • J.D. Pickell discusses USC GM Chad Bowden’s Southern California roots

    J.D. Pickell discusses USC GM Chad Bowden’s Southern California roots

    Chad Bowden continues to be the man of the hour at USC

    USC recruiting has been red hot of late under new general manager Chad Bowden. On Saturday, the Trojans added yet another blue-chip commitment to their top ranked 2026 recruiting class, this one from four-star running back Deshonne Redeaux.

    Much of USC’s success on the recruiting trail under Bowden can be attributed to his Southern California ties. Bowden grew up watching the Trojans during their heyday under Pete Carroll in the 2000s, and has seen what the program looks like when it is operating at its peak.

    On a recent episode of his show, “The Hard Count”, On3 Sports college football analyst J.D. Pickell discussed the impact of Bowden’s Southern California roots on the Trojans’ recruiting surge.

    “He gets USC,” Pickell said of Bowden. “Chad Bowden talks about how he grew up a USC fan. How he grew up watching Matt Leinart ball. He understands what USC can be when it’s firing on all cylinders.

    “He understands where the bar is set at USC, and he’s able to speak the language. It’s one thing to, you know, speak highly of a place that you’re not actually from . . . [but] it’s fake to a certain degree.

    “It’s not fake with Chad Bowden. He gets it, he lives it, he breathes it.”

    With Bowden at the helm, the Trojans currently have the top-ranked recruiting class in the country for the 2026 cycle. USC fans are hoping that a successful season on the field in 2025 will allow the program to keep the class intact and build towards being a national championship contender in the future.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More