Author: nfltalk

  • Patrick Mahomes: We have so many weapons, just have to maximize them

    Patrick Mahomes: We have so many weapons, just have to maximize them

    There have been several moments in recent seasons when it felt like the Chiefs were short on receiving options for quarterback Patrick Mahomes, but Mahomes does not believe that will be an issue in 2025.

    The Chiefs have Rashee Rice back from last season’s knee injury and they re-signed JuJu Smith-Schuster to go with Xavier Worthy, Hollywood Brown, Skyy Moore, and fourth-round pick Jalen Royals at wide receiver. Travis Kelce and Noah Gray return at tight end while Isiah Pacheco, Kareem Hunt, and Elijah Mitchell make up the running back group.

    During an appearance on Up & Adams, Mahomes was asked if this is the deepest group of weapons he’s had around him in Kansas City. Mahomes said he believes that it is and that the team has to focus on making the most of everyone’s talents.

    “I think it’s gonna come from everywhere,” Mahomes said. “Obviously, you’ve got Rashee being back. He looks great. You have Xavier Worthy, who came on so strong at the end of last year. You have Hollywood Brown healthy again. Guys everywhere. You add in Travis Kelce, a Hall of Famer. Noah Gray, a great tight end, and everybody that we’ve added to all those different rooms. We have so many weapons. Let’s go out there and just maximize it all. It’s not gonna be just one person. It’s gonna be the entire offense going out there and showcasing what the Kansas City Chiefs truly are.”

    Brown and Pacheco joined Rice in missing large stretches of time with injuries last season, so the makeup of the group on July 7 isn’t guaranteed to be the same throughout the season. As long as all hands are on deck, though, there will be plenty of places for Mahomes to go with the ball as long as he has time to make the deliveries.

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • USMNT loses Gold Cup final to Mexico; Brian Campbell wins John Deere; Astros climb latest MLB Power Rankings

    USMNT loses Gold Cup final to Mexico; Brian Campbell wins John Deere; Astros climb latest MLB Power Rankings

    This is an article version of the CBS Sports HQ AM Newsletter, the ultimate guide to every day in sports. You can sign up to get it in your inbox every weekday morning here.

    🏌 Good morning to everyone but especially to …

    BRIAN CAMPBELL

    It took some extra golf, but Brian Campbell got his second PGA Tour win of the season at the 2025 John Deere Classic.

    Following 72 holes in at TPC Deere Run, Campbell and Emiliano Grillo were locked atop the leaderboard at 18 under. Through the first 13 holes of the final round, it looked like Campbell might cruise to a win, but disaster struck on No. 15 when he put a double bogey on his scorecard.

    That opened the door for Grillo to pull even with Campbell, and he did just that. That forced Campbell into a playoff with Grillo, but he was unfazed. Campbell scored a par on the playoff hole while Grillo recorded a bogey, and Campbell sealed his second win of the year.

    Campbell’s last win came at the Mexico Open back in February just a couple weeks after Punxsutawney Phil came out of hiding. It was a long wait, but it was a worthwhile one, says Patrick McDonald.

    McDonald:In between the two starts, Campbell collected no finish better than a T32, which he accomplished in back-to-back weeks at the Masters and RBC Heritage. No matter, with his latest entrance into the winner’s circle, he joins Rory McIlroy, Scottie Scheffler, Ben Griffin, Sepp Straka and Ryan Fox as players to win multiple times this season.”

    With his win, Campbell also pocketed just over $1.5 million. Not bad for 73 holes of work.

    Grillo may have finished second, but he still aced the test in our tournament grades. Max Homa did the same, but Griffin scored poorly as he cooled off in a big way by missing the cut.

    😃…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Cowboys’ All-Pro returner KaVontae Turpin arrested, faces weapon, marijuana charges months after signing deal

    Cowboys’ All-Pro returner KaVontae Turpin arrested, faces weapon, marijuana charges months after signing deal

    Getty Images

    Dallas Cowboys star returner KaVontae Turpin was arrested on weapon and marijuana charges in Allen, Texas on Sunday morning, according to Collin County court records obtained by CBS News. Turpin was booked for possession of marijuana and unlawful carrying of a weapon. 

    The 28-year-old just signed a three-year, $18 million deal with the Cowboys in March that made him the highest-paid special teams player in the NFL. In 2024, Turpin had a career year. He returned 27 kicks for a league-leading 904 return yards and one touchdown, along with 18 punt returns for 187 yards and another touchdown. As a wide receiver, Turpin had a career year as well, catching 31 passes for 420 yards and two touchdowns. He earned First Team All-Pro honors, as well as his second Pro Bowl selection.

    Turpin went undrafted in 2019 out of TCU due to off-field issues. After bouncing around The Spring League and the European League of Football, Turpin was selected by the New Jersey Generals in the 2022 USFL Draft. He established himself as one of the best players in the league with his receiving ability and return ability, and was named MVP after leading the USFL in receiving yards (540), yards after catch (316) and punt return average (15.3). That campaign landed Turpin a contract with the Cowboys, and he earned Pro Bowl honors in his first NFL season after returning 21 kicks for 508 yards, and 29 punts for 303 yards. 

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Ohio State football well-represented at top of PFF Top 50 CFB players

    Ohio State football well-represented at top of PFF Top 50 CFB players

    PFF’s Top 50 College Football Players for the 2025 Season:

    #1: Jeremiah Smith, Ohio State

    🌰 Highest Graded Returning Wide Receiver (89.7) pic.twitter.com/xVXxNUglPy

    — PFF College (@PFF_College) July 5, 2025

    Pro Football Focus (PFF) has made a big splash on the American football season over the last few years with its analytics-driven data to measure players’ performances, snap counts, and more. And while the name “Pro” is in name, PFF also dabbles a ton in the college game. The site and its tools have become very popular, as have some of the articles and rankings that it has shared with the masses.

    Recently, PFF ranked the top 50 players in college football, and anytime a list like that is circulated, you know Ohio State has to be well represented. In this case, heading into the fall of 2025, it’s not quantity, but quality when it comes to Buckeyes on the list, especially after they sent 14 players to the NFL via the draft last April.

    All told, Ohio State has just two players in the top 50 according to PFF, which falls behind teams like Alabama, Penn State, and Texas (five each), but the two that it has can claim something no other school can. OSU has the two best players in the college game according to PFF, with receiver Jeremiah Smith leading the pack, followed by safety Caleb Downs at No. 2.

    Come to think of it, that mirrors what EA Sports says about Ohio State’s roster. It also ranked the duo as the two best players in the game in that same order. And PFF and EA Sports aren’t the only outlets claiming that Ohio State has the two best players in the game; it’s almost everywhere you look.

    Here’s to hoping that the rest of what is still a talented roster can fill in the gaps, come together, and develop into another College Football Playoff national championship contender.

    Contact/Follow us @BuckeyesWire on X…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • NFL Films and ESPN Argue for Dismissal of Gastineau’s $100M Lawsuit

    NFL Films and ESPN Argue for Dismissal of Gastineau’s $100M Lawsuit

    ESPN, the NFL and other defendants named in retired New York Jets defensive end Mark Gastineau’s $100 million breach of contract and false endorsement lawsuit argue in a new motion to dismiss the case that the five-time Pro Bowler’s legal theories are contradicted by contracts he signed and defy basic principles of both the right of publicity and the First Amendment.
     
    In March, Gastineau filed a complaint in the Southern District of New York accusing ESPN and the NFL of using unauthorized video of him confronting retired Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre at a sports memorabilia show in 2023. The video appears in “30 for 30: The New York Sack Exchange,” which centers on Gastineau and teammates who were part of the highly-vaunted Jets’ defensive line in the early 1980s. 
     
    The 30 for 30 includes a clip of Gastineau accusing Favre of “falling down” in the final minutes of the 2001 regular season, when New York Giant defensive end Michael Strahan sacked Favre and broke Gastineau’s NFL record for most sacks in a single season. Gastineau, 68, says he has been ridiculed on social media over how he is portrayed.  He says he never consented to the filming of the Favre confrontation. Gastineau also accuses ESPN and the NFL of placing him in a false light by omitting video of Gastineau and Favre shaking hands at the end of their conversation.
     
    Through a brief filed by Alexander Kaplan and other attorneys from Oppenheim + Zebrak on July 3, ESPN and the NFL assert Gastineau’s case has numerous flaws. 
     
    First, Gastineau signed contracts with NFL Films that—ESPN and the NFL maintain—negate his claims. Of central importance Gastineau signed a talent agreement which, in exchange for Gastineau receiving compensation, granted NFL films the right to his NIL and other aspects of his right of publicity, including his voice, actions and biographical information. The agreement also contemplated Gastineau waiving any right to approve how he is…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Ex-Dolphins DB Reshad Jones scammed out of $2.58 million in grand theft, money laundering scheme, per report

    Ex-Dolphins DB Reshad Jones scammed out of $2.58 million in grand theft, money laundering scheme, per report

    Former Miami Dolphins safety Reshad Jones was scammed out of $2.58 million dollars in a grand theft and money laundering scheme, Local 10 News reports. Former financial advisor Isaiah Williams allegedly abused his access to Jones’ personal bank account, and with the help of 49-year-old Octavia Graham, stole millions of dollars to pay off his credit cards and fund a lavish lifestyle.

    Police said Williams stole approximately $1.58 million across 133 wire transfers from Jones’ account between January 2022 and March 2024. According to court records, Williams used the money to cover first-class airline tickets, hotel stays, nightclub and strip club tabs, car rentals, clothing, jewelry, legal fees and child support. He also went on shopping sprees in Mexico.

    Jones, a two-time Pro Bowl player who spent his entire career with the Dolphins, also lost an additional $1.03 million between October 2019 and September 2021. Police said Graham helped launder money from Jones’ account. Graham sent $435,000 to Williams across 16 handwritten checks and another $184,000 over 88 Zelle transfers.

    “This is yet another troubling example of a professional athlete being exploited by a wealth management firm he trusted,” Jones’ attorneys said in a statement. “In this case, the wrongdoer was a Vice President at one of the world’s largest financial institutions — Bank of America’s investment management division, Merrill Lynch. We have filed a lawsuit to hold Merrill Lynch accountable and are working to recover all damages our client has suffered.”

    Steelers’ Jonnu Smith gets candid on trade from Dolphins, says Pittsburgh is ‘where I’m appreciated’

    Brad Crawford

    …..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Notre Dame football recruiting: Larry Fitzgerald’s son, three-star WR Devin Fitzgerald, commits to Irish

    Notre Dame football recruiting: Larry Fitzgerald’s son, three-star WR Devin Fitzgerald, commits to Irish

    Getty Images

    Three-star wide receiver Devin Fitzgerald, the son of NFL legend Larry Fitzgerald, committed to Notre Dame on Saturday over Clemson, Stanford and UCLA. The Brophy College Preparatory product out of Phoenix, Arizona, is the latest player to commit to Notre Dame in the 2026 recruiting class, as the Fighting Irish currently hold the fourth-ranked class in the cycle behind USC, Georgia and Texas A&M.

    “I chose Notre Dame because of the people, the culture, and the purpose behind everything they do,” Fitzgerald told 247Sports. “It’s not just about football. It’s about building something bigger — a future, a legacy.”

    During his junior season at Brophy College Preparatory, Fitzgerald hauled in 52 catches for 720 yards and nine touchdowns in 13 games.

    Ian Premer, No. 3 ranked tight end, commits to Notre Dame, moving Fighting Irish to No. 2 class for 2026

    Shanna McCarriston

    Fitzgerald ranks as the No. 2 player in the state of Arizona and is the 55th-ranked wide receiver in the 2026 recruiting class. Fitzgerald marks Notre Dame’s 24th commitment in the class, joining blue-chip recruits such as five-star edge Rodney Dunham, five-star safety Joey O’Brien, four-star cornerback Khary Adams and…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More

  • Which quarterbacks are on the hot seat in 2025?

    Which quarterbacks are on the hot seat in 2025?

    We’ve recently taken a look at the coaches on the hot seat for 2025. This week, a reader asked the same question as it relates to quarterbacks.

    Plenty of them are feeling the heat, or should be, this season. Let’s take a look at each spot, based on the loose arrangement of the conferences and divisions that has been tattooed onto my brain.

    Justin Fields, Jets: His contract has $10 million in guarantees that spill into 2026. That’s not enough to guarantee him two years as the starter. He needs to do enough in 2025 to earn 2026 — and beyond.

    Tua Tagovailoa, Dolphins: His contract guarantees his pay through 2026. If the Dolphins fall flat and change coaches, the next coach likely will want a fresh start at quarterback. While the cap charges will complicate a split before 2027, every high-end quarterback contract eventually leads to a big cap charge when the relationship ends. The next coach (and the next G.M., if owner Stephen Ross cleans house) may want to rip the Band-Aid off in one motion.

    Aaron Rodgers, Steelers: He says he’s pretty sure this is his last year. If he doesn’t play well enough for the Steelers in 2025 and if he wants to keep playing in 2026, the Steelers may give him the same cold shoulder that Russell Wilson got after 2024.

    All Browns quarterbacks: With Jacksonville’s first-round pick in their back pocket, the Browns could be in position to get a future franchise quarterback in next year’s draft. That raises the stakes for every quarterback currently on the Cleveland roster. Because there’s a chance none of them will be the starter in 2026.

    Daniel Jones and Anthony Richardson, Colts: It already feels like Jones will be the Week 1 starter. He’ll then have a chance to lock the revolving door the Colts have had since Andrew Luck retired. If he doesn’t, the Colts will be looking elsewhere in 2026. As to Richardson, his best play is to play better than he ever has, if and when he…

    ..

    [ad_2]

    Read More